Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 11th October 2013, 17:57
James_M

Possible Nightfighter attack?

Hello,

I'm researching the crash of a Handley Page Hampden (X3023) from 44 squadron. This was the first operation for this aircraft.

This aircraft crashed on the Norfolk coast, England, returning from a raid to Lutzkendorf. However, according to some rough time and distance calculations, I believe X3023 was attacked shortly after crossing the Dutch coast, outbound, and turned back towards England on one engine.

Form 1180 states that the starboard engine was inoperative at the time of the crash (their was one survivor), but no mention is made regarding an air battle and the cause was put down to pilot error and bad weather.

However, I have recovered a piece of a fire-extinguisher which shows 2 bullet strikes which have been confirmed by the Royal Armouries. The Landing Light Control has also been recovered and was locked in the 'down' or 'reconnaissance' mode, suggesting the pilot may have been looking to get X3023 down as soon as was possible after crossing the Norfolk coast.

I understand that a large amount of NJ combat reports are lost, but wondered if there is anything out there to support this theory.

X3023 took off at 1:15am (Waddington) and crashed at 6:30am (Northrepps, Norfolk)

Many thanks,

James M
Old 11th October 2013, 20:50
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Possible Nightfighter attack?

James, you said the time but omitted the date.
Old 12th October 2013, 00:18
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Nick

The night is 19-20.11.1940

James

There is nothing in my second hand sources supporting a Luftwaffe airborne attack. It may have been hit by Flak over the Dutch coast, but I have nothing listed as such in my books....

B Rgds
Stig
Old 12th October 2013, 02:29
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough

Hello,

The survivor was: 749465 Sgt Stanley HIRD RAFVR, later 155876 F/L DFC,MiD.

Col.
Old 12th October 2013, 10:01
James_M

Apologies for the missing date! Good grief.

It was always a long shot, but thanks for your suggestions.

Stanley Hird went on to serve throughout the war, ending up as a W/O on Pathfinders - quite a remarkable story in itself and one i intend to look into at some point.

After the crash, Stanley was seen staggering about the wreckage, silhouetted by the flames, by the gamekeeper and his wife who lived less than 100 yards from the crash. They took him into their cottage and cared for him until help arrived. They said that he couldn't understand their thick Norfolk accents and believed he was in Poland. They often wondered what happened to him.