Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Closed Thread

Old 15th October 2006, 21:24

Marius is on a distinguished road
Re: I./ZG 1 claims in 1939 - 1940 - any info?

So think I, Ruy. The thread is concerning I./ZG 1 and we should stay at the topic. The 5th Sept. 1939 is very interesting. I know I am the first one who wrote something completely different regarding the action flown by the Polish 112 eskadra. I am also the first one who is providing hard evidence with German records. The time of many Polish legends is over now.

If there really exists a document confirming the fight of 111 eskadra on the 5th at the same time as the 112 eskadra, my research should be proved again.
For now I am sure I./ZG 1 claimed here 2 victories. But nevertheless I could be wrong. So again I request Franek to show us this particular document regarding 111 eskadra.
I think it does not exist, but maybe Franek will surprise me.

If my research is correct we would have all 6 victories of I./ZG 1 for Poland (also 6 victories were stated by the Kommandeur after the Polish campaign).:
5.9. 2 P.24
6.9. 1 P.24
7.9. 3 P.37

The one probable victory I suppose on the 1.9. could be wrong, I know it well. It is possible Luftflotte 1 documents also counted the wrongly shot down Hs 126 of 2.(H)/21. At first the unknown pilot of I./ZG 1 reported he had shot down a Polish recon aircraft very similar to the Henschel Hs 126 (!!!).

Marius
Old 15th October 2006, 21:50
Alter Hase

Evgeny Velichko is on a distinguished road

Thnk You very mutch, Rob & Marius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob van den nieuwendijk View Post
... Oblt Werner Streib 1
Fw Paul Gildner 1
Uffz Müller 2
Oblt Möller 1

Other sources also mention Leutnant Knacke with one claim - he flew in the Schwarm of Streib, Gildner and Müller.

Regards
Rob
According Your information, F/O Hayes was that "brilliant pilot", who could run alive from Falck under his fire.

My sourses sayd, that:

Streib had no more claims with I./ZG 1, all rest - as Nacht Jager.

Paul Gildner had 44 night victoryes, total 48 victoryes. So, this 4 claims MIGHT be with I./ZG 1, he was a member 3./ZG 1 at that time. Need just to check...

Knacke had 44 night kills too, and he was a 3./ZG 1 member too. But I have no info about his TOTAL score.

Salute all!
Old 15th October 2006, 22:17

rob van den nieuwendijk

Eugen,

Try to get hold of Die Ritterkreuzträger der Luftwaffe 1939-1945, Band 1 Jagdflieger, by Ernst Obermaier - (second print 1989) -

page 56

Paul Gildner
01.02.1914 born in Nimptsch/Niederschlesien
24/25.02.1943 KIA Gilze-Rijen/Holland
09.07.41 RK; 26.02.43 EL (nr 196)
25.05.42 Deutsche Kreuz

Some info for you: - since 1938 als Unteroffizier with 6./JG 132 (later 3./ZG 1) - took part in campaigns over Poland, Norway and France. Shot down a Blenheim on 10 May 40 and a Morane on 5 June 40. On 26 June 40 his unit became part of the Nachtjagd.

Also Ludwig Becker (page 56)
22.08.11 in Dortmund
26.02.43 north of Schiermonnikoog/Northsea/Holland
01.07.42 RK; 26.02.43 EL (Nr 198 )
04.05.42 Deutsches Kreuz
02.03.42 Ehrenpokal

Belonged to 3./ZG 1 since start of the war - participated over France and his unit was transferred to Nachtjagd in June 40 - On 16/17 Oct 40 he claimed his first victory with 4./NJG 1.

Feb 43 was a costly month of the German nightfighter force.

Regards
Rob

Last edited by rob van den nieuwendijk; 15th October 2006 at 22:52.
Old 15th October 2006, 22:56
Alter Hase

robert is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Eugen,

I just found information that I/ZG1 claimed 13 victories on the 10th May.
Olt.Moeller made 3 claims and Viktor Moelders from 1/ZG2 claimed in space of one minute 2 Fokker T.V shot down. One from his claims was not confirmed and the other concerns T.V No.855 which crashed in North Sea. Another Fokker T.V was only damaged. The next victories (3?) came on the 12.05.40 (or 13.05.40?) - on this day Moelders claimed one Spitfire shot down but again this victory was not officially credited. On the 13.05.40 I/ZG1 claimed 26 planes destroyed on the ground on the airfield Hamstede.

Regards

Robert
Old 15th October 2006, 23:50
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
...and Viktor Moelders from 1/ZG2 claimed in...

...The next victories (3?) came on the 12.05.40 (or 13.05.40?) - on this day Moelders claimed one Spitfire shot down but again this victory was not officially credited.

Regards

Robert
Great, perfect, amazing! THXXXX!

He was from 1./ZG 1, not 1./ZG 2 He was author of NJG 1 emblem (falke).

Moelders had 9 claims total, before he was PoW. Any information about how many claims he had until he was transferred to JG 51?

BTW: what sourse do You use?
Old 16th October 2006, 00:00
Alter Hase

robert is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Eugen,

my fingers were too fast...Of course 1/ZG1.
Victor Moelders obtained two victories by I/JG51 (the 8th and 9th).
My source is an articel from internet. I don`t remember where I found it.

Regards

Robert
Old 16th October 2006, 00:12
Alter Hase

I fount it:
http://www.jf-archiv.de/archiv05/200512031821.htm

http://www.swg-hamburg.de/Armee_im_K...s_deutsch.html

http://www.gyges.dk/heraldics.htm
Old 16th October 2006, 22:25
Alter Hase

Hi all!

Robert - any more info about I./ZG 1 actions over Holland, or over Dunkirk?

To John Vasco - is it known how many claims had Erpr.Gr.210 during BoB, and how many aircrafts were lost?

THX to all!
Old 17th October 2006, 21:56
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No, I wrote something about the book and the way the autor works. In fact its me who can not defend against personal attacks Mr. Cynk made in Polish paper Lotnictwo Wojskowe 5/2005.
TOCH is not the place, that Mr Cynk visits and I do not think it is the proper place to attack him personally. You could write a reply to the journal and apparently you did not.
Quote:
Nobody spoke about a "direct cooperation". It was the "problem" of Polish publishers only to bring the data together. Mr. Cynk disregarded German records completely (sorry, almost completely - he brought in his own interpretation (sic!!) of GQM records). Without German records the book is almost worthless. This is not only my opinion, but of many Polish historians of the "younger generation".
Who are those 'many Polish historians'? Could you name at least one of them? The book is definetelly highly regarded by Polish historians including such experts like dr Tomasz Kopański, who certainly is not from the old generation.
Quote:
Why? I showed one example above describing 5th Sept. and the mission flown by 112 eskadra. Next example: according to Cynk German records are confirming (?!) the loss of a He 111 of I./KG 152 shot down by 123 eskadra over Warsaw on the 5th. In fact this bomber was shot down 100 km`s away from Warsaw by Polish AA. Another example: 6 He 111`s of II./LG 1 shot down by Polish fighters in the morning of 1th Sept. Pretendendly confirmed by German documents (sic!?). But in fact such documents do not exist. The existing documents are confirming the loss of 1 He 111 + 1 He 111 belly landed (sic!). As well in GQM records, known to Mr. Cynk (sic!).
Nobody said there are no errors in Mr Cynk's books, including himself. Nonetheless the point is, the book is about Polish fighters and not Luftwaffe and the book has no more than a single sentence about each mentioned German loss.
Quote:
2 engined aircraft at a height of appr. 2000 m. Pniak saw 7 airplanes from the ground, before he started. After he started there appears nothing more about 2 engined aircraft. But 3 (!!) aircraft "of the same type" attacked him. IPMS, Lot.AII.15/1c-15 (also Cynk "Polskie lotnictwo mysliwskie..., page 242).
The report says exactly:
'Before take off I saw 7 German twin engined aircraft at an altitude of about 2,000 meters. I climbed in the direction of those seven. At an altitude of 1,500 meters I was attacked by another three aircraft of the same type.'
The report is perfectly clear.
Quote:
From the beginning of the war German Bf 109`s and Bf 110`s flew in sections of 2 (Rotte). This is not a secret. You can find this information in my book Jagdflieger (appendixes, experiences of German units).
I have checked. Those issues are raised only in the report of V(Z)/LG1 and the very same report mentions that in most cases they flew in formation of 7 aircraft. How could they fly in finger four formation, I really do not know. Another important note is that the report just only says, the pair is the minimum formation and the aircraft should not fly alone. Not a great find, known in Poland before the war as well. This has nothing to finger four and German fighters are reported to fly in sections of three well into the Battle of Britain.
Quote:
Only Pniak`s combat report, right?
Yes, and the diary of the unit filed at the very same time.
Quote:
It`s only your stubbornness. Even in original Polish documents you will find 3 P.11 only which participated in the earlier combat against Ju 87`s. Por. Pisarek had then to forceland his badly damaged aircraft and exactly this is described in the records of III./StG 2. In the latter combat 13 PZL took part and it is logical that I./LG 2 only then could have claimed 3 of them.
Neither Polish documents mention Me 109s. Logical conclusion is that the aggressive Ju 87s from the first combat actually were 109s.
Quote:
I don`t believe it. You often are referring to Polish documents which in fact do not exist. So I repeat my request: please show me the document confirming the fight of 111 eskadra in the midday of 5th Sept.
I am in the midst of other projects that I have to finish. I will not stop working on them only because of your wish. I am slowly gathering documents for some Polish Campaign subjects as well as extensive comment on your works but this needs time. Part of the documents is on the way from England but again, time is needed, even to type on this forum. I have very little of it recently. Haben Sie verstanden?!
Otherwise I see very little purpose in providing documents, as you can write such sentences whenever you wish with regard of any part of any document. For you, Polish reports are worthless in general.
Quote:
As I wrote earlier Polish combat reports are useless regarding particular German aircraft types. German records are not confirming what you would like to have.
The general conclusion is that the German records are incomplete and that those data should be taken with a grain of salt. Evgeniy seems to understand that and I see no reason in continuing the discussion.
Old 17th October 2006, 22:33
Alter Hase

Quote:
Hi Eugen,
I just found information that I/ZG1 claimed 13 victories on the 10th May.
Any info about names of I./ZG 1 pilots, who claimed it?

Quote:
Olt.Moeller made 3 claims and Viktor Moelders from 1/ZG2 claimed in space of one minute 2 Fokker T.V shot down. One from his claims was not confirmed and the other concerns T.V No.855 which crashed in North Sea. Another Fokker T.V was only damaged.
Perfect! Any other info about claimlist of Moelders?

THX to all for help!