Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 1st October 2010, 18:57

Marek Rogusz is on a distinguished road
Januszewicz's death 303 (Polish) Sqdr, BoB 5th Oct 1940

Dear All,
This is my first post...

I am aviation history enthusiasts from Poland. I have a special interest in Polish Air Force during pre-war and September 1939 campaign.
My intention is to commemorate F/O pilot Wojciech Januszewicz from 111 squadron of Pursuit Brigade Polish Air Forces, who shot down several Luftwaffe airplanes and among others he shot down Bf 110 in his lonely fight with four of them. In order to commemorate this pilot I would like to publish a booklet with his biography as he is really one of the forgotten few. I gathered a lot of material from different sources (published or not) but it is still not what I would like to have :-)

At the moment I am strugling with two basic problems and maybe readers of this forum would be able to help me.
  • Januszewicz was shot down 5th October 1940 during Batttle of Britain while he was a part of 303 (Polish) Squadron. Very little is known about his last fight. F/O Januszewicz probably fought with Me 109s of JG53 and his aircraft crashed in flames at Stowting, near Lyminge. He probably flown Hurricane P3892. First set of my questions follows...
a) Who might be Januszewicz’s victor?
b) Does anybody know if Januszewicz’s crash site was explored during or after the war and where is it’s approximate location?
c) Does anybody know any local sources (local newspapers, relation of witnesses, police) relating to this dogfight (maybe somebody who live nearby)?

2. Almost month before his death Januszewicz made a forced landing after another dogfight 6th of September 1940. He was flying probably a Hurricane borrowed from 1 (Canadian) Squadron. Januszewicz landed on the grounds of Mr and Mrs W.K. Vinson, Boughton Place, Boughton Malherbe, Kent. He was hosted like in old polish manor and drank some good whiskey there. And my questions follows
I wonder where is this manor? Does manor still exist? I would be very grateful for it’s picture or contact to Mr and Mrs W.K. Vinson family. I know it is not very probably but maybe some witnesses of this forced landing still live.

Looking very much for any help, directions.

Best regards,
Marek

Tags
303 squadron, bob, losses, polish