Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Obituaries

Obituaries Please use this forum to post obituary listings and death notices.

Old 15th October 2005, 07:55

NickM
I have heard rumors of the passing of a respected author...

I cannot confirm, but I have heard that Roger Freeman, probably THE foremost historian of the US 8th Airforce passed away last week; As the owner of his landmark history, 'The Mighty Eighth', I have been a longtime fan of his works; I can only give my condolences to his family...

NickM
Old 15th October 2005, 18:45

Hans Nauta
Re: I have heard rumors of the passing of a respected author...

Hi Nick,

This message was forwarded to me.

Regards,
Hans Nauta

"It is with a deep sense of sorrow and loss that I report that Roger A. Freeman, 8th Air Force Historian, and the man who coined the phrase "The Mighty Eighth" has passed away.

Mr. Freeman was 77 years old and passed away from a long bout with cancer. He was a mentor and someone I looked to as an inspiration and guide to my own work ethic as it relates to the 100th Bomb Group and the 8th Air Force. I only had the pleasure of meeting him once in Savannah during the festivities for the 60th Anniversary of the 8th Air Force. He was like a long lost friend who would stop and listen to every Vet, eager to hear just "one more story". Roger made sure Robert "Rosie" Rosenthal was recognized at this event by the the large crowd gathered in Savannah. As a young English boy, he watched you take off and come home from your air battles over Fortress Europe and he realized the tremendous cost American Aircrews were sustaining to destroy Hitler’s war machine. He never forgot and in 1970 published his first book on the 8th AF, simply entitled “THE MIGHTY EIGHTH" by Roger A. Freeman. This book and its subsequent reprinting are the benchmark by which other historians are judged on the subject. His physical appearance was small and frail but the legacy he has left us cast a very BIG and long shadow. Roger Freeman did as much to cement "The Mighty Eighths" place in history as any man in the 8th AF. He lost his innocence with us when he counted our missing aircraft returning to the fields of Little America. Roger would be embarrassed by all these accolades and say ALL of you are the real story and he just wrote it down. Maybe so but NOBODY could have put it into words better. Roger Freeman may not be a member of the 100th Bomb Group but he will be listed in our Taps section, because quite frankly, he earned it.

Goodbye Roger and Thank You."

Michael P. Faley
100th Bomb Group Historian
100th Bomb Group Photo Archives
email:
MPFaley@aol.com
Old 15th October 2005, 19:35
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

What a great loss. Whenever I contacted Roger, he always went out of his way to help and was a mine of information. Yet another victim of that terrible cancer-that will be one uncle and four friends it has claimed already this year.
Old 16th October 2005, 00:05

Stein Meum

The first book I ever read in the English language was a book called "Serenade to the Big Bird" by Bert Stiles.I became a devout fan of the B-17 after this and the discovery in a (Norwegian!) bookshop of his "The Mighty Eighth" was a revelation to say the least.I have tried to collect all his published works since.Still missing quite a few titles,but not as much as the person himself. A great historian!
Stein