Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 19th December 2016, 10:30

DDT is on a distinguished road
Stab. - I./NJG 3

Hello,

This unit lost a Ju 88G-6 on 13-jan-1945. The pilot was Lt. M. Scheunpflug and he and his crew were killed in the crash.
Fw. Paul Fiegenbaum was the BF but was the position of Lt. Werner Zeck?
Bordfunker or bordmessfunker (radar-operator)?
He is not mentioned in the Vetter book about "Die personellen Verluste der deutschen Nachtjagdgeschwader 1940-1945". I can the him in the M.Balss book.
If I understand it correctly he would be the BF/BO and Fw. Fiegenbaum would be the bordmessfunker.
Any thoughts or more info about this positions/crew?
Kind regards,

Dirk
Old 20th December 2016, 10:52

Marcel Hogenhuis will become famous soon enough
Re: Stab. - I./NJG 3

Hello,

According to my database Ju88G-6 (Werkenr.620962), Stab I./NJG 3, D5+YB, crashed after the start from Grove.
Pilot: Lt. M. Scheunpflug, killed instantly
unknown: Lt. W. Zeck, killed instantly
Bofu: Fw. P. Fiegenbaum, killed instantly
Bordschütze: Uffz. H. Möske, died next day in lazaret Viborg

compared with another accident of Scheunpflug in July 1944, the roles of Scheunpflug, Fiegenbaum and Möske are as described above. I do have the Namentliche Verlustmeldung (but not at hand), this might present a solution for the purpose of this flight. For the moment I guess that Zeck was either a Nachrichtenoffizier, keen to fly a combat mission or a pilot himself, learning from Scheunpflug or just a passenger.

Best regards, Marcel
Old 20th December 2016, 14:17

Delmenhorst is on a distinguished road

Werner Zeck was Nachrichtenoffizier I./NJG 3 and belonged to the Ln.Zug I./NJG 3 which was an attachment under the Stab. He was born in Altendorf in Mainfranken on the 21st of June 1921. He had a private telephonenumber at Fliegerhorst Grove, which was very unusual for such a low ranking person. He is listed as Bordfunker.
Old 21st December 2016, 09:40

DDT is on a distinguished road

Marcel, Delmenhorst,

Thanks a lot for the additional information. Vetter's book does say he belonged to the Ln.Zug of the first Gruppe, but not that he was the Nachrichtenoffizier.
Merry Christmans and a Happy New Year.

Dirk
Old 22nd December 2016, 11:33

Marcel Hogenhuis will become famous soon enough

Hello Delmenhorst,

Thanks for the additional info about Zeck and if someone has the knowledge, it is you and/or Jörn. Well, never thought that I did hit the mark with my assumption that Zeck could be the Nachrichtenoffizier. If I may ask: do you mean with 'private telephone number' a direct line (related to his role as Nachrichtenoffizier) or a private phone number to have private conversations to his wife or family?

I do ask this because the I./NJG 3 had some He219's (later found in Grove), perhaps these facts are somehow linked.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year ! Marcel
Old 22nd December 2016, 18:37

Delmenhorst is on a distinguished road

'Privatanschluss' was his telephone at his living quarters at the air field. I am not quite sure but I think that he was billeted in present day building 208/209 - by the Luftwaffe called building 2 and 3 right next to the officers mess. I have his title from a telephone list. And no, the telephone was not for private conversatins with his family. It means that it was his phone alone in his living quarters, which very few people had.
Old 23rd December 2016, 06:28
Alter Hase

ju55dk will become famous soon enough

It was quite normal for the Nachrichtenoffiziere, of the Nachtjagd, to fly on operations. To get experience and also for some to gain EK II and I.

Junker

Last edited by ju55dk; 23rd December 2016 at 14:29.