Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 21st January 2017, 14:40

GMichalski is on a distinguished road
Victors or cause 4 losses 102 GvIAP 1944

Hi,

i search about these 4 losses in this interesting web:
http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/englis...akov/index.htm

Overall, we had fewer losses in combat. Whom did we lose in combat? Here is a photograph of me with my squadron commander, Morozov (I was his deputy) alongside Cobra bort (tactical) number 055. They shot him down in 1944. Who shot him down—the Finns or Germans—we don’t know. All four died. They were flying at low altitude, buzzing the border, toward the Finnish side, toward Priozersk. He was leading a four-ship and took Kolya Galanin and two young pilots with him.
We had just received replacements. I had said, “Arkasha, I’m going to fly with you, as you are going to fly with the young and inexperienced pilots. I’m going to go with you.”
“No, you have your own young pilots to worry about. I will go with them and show them the battle area.”
I was also in the air; I heard over the radio that they were in a fight. I heard my call sign—“21,” and his—“20.” I asked, “Where are you, ‘20’? Where are you fighting?”
But communications was interrupted and we never heard from them again. We lost the entire four-ship flight. There was no trace of them.
Later we learned that they had been shot down. They found Kolyamagin in the bay, already after the war, in his Cobra. They never found the other three. (17 June 1944, the following did not return from a combat mission on P-39s: Senior Lieutenant Arkadiy Ivanovich Morozov; Junior Lieutenants Nikolay Yakovlevich Galanin, Kolyamagin, and Vorobev.)

regards

"The wingman is absolutely indispensable. I look after the wingman. The wingman looks after me....."
Francis S. "Gabby" Gabreski,

"The first rule of all air combat is to see the opponent first."
Adolf Galland
Old 22nd January 2017, 01:54
Alter Hase

Juha is on a distinguished road
Re: Victors or cause 4 losses 102 GvIAP 1944

Hello
Finnish pilots claimed 3 and LW pilots 2 P-39s on that day. Two of the FiAF's claims happened very early in the morning over the southern part of the Karelia Istmus, LW's claims and and the 3rd FiAF claim happened in late afternoon/early in the evening, one of the LW claim happened SE of Viipuri/Wyborg, the other LW's claim South of the Vuoksi river, not so far from its mouth, the FiAF's claim on the northern side of the river. The latter 2 are south of Priozersk, FiAF's almost 40 km and the VVS over 50 km.

Odd part of the story is that 2 P-39s bellylanded in Finland at Inkeroinen on that day, some 185 km WSW of Priozersk after running out of fuel, on the bort number 25 there were bullet holes in the left wing, the bort number 20, note the number, didn't seem to have suffered combat damage. Its wings were used to restore the P-39Q which is nowadays at the Finnish AA Museum .

Juha
Old 22nd January 2017, 12:49

Thumbs up Re: Victors or cause 4 losses 102 GvIAP 1944

Hi,
many thanks,

can you write the claims do you refer?...

regards

"The wingman is absolutely indispensable. I look after the wingman. The wingman looks after me....."

Adolf Galland
Old 22nd January 2017, 20:12
Alter Hase

Juha is on a distinguished road
Re: Victors or cause 4 losses 102 GvIAP 1944

From Tony Wood’s claim lists:
Ltn. Albert Seevers 4./JG 54 81 494 at 500 m 17.52
Ltn. Heinz Wernicke 5./JG 54 01 384 at 300 m 17.55

from Keskinen & Stenman: Suomen Ilmavoimat IV 1944; Keskinen & Stenman: Suomen Ilmavoimien Historia 27 Ilmavoitot/Aerial Victories Osa 2 and http://www.sci.fi/~fta/havllv26_2.htm
Ylik. Aaro Nuorala 3/HLeLv 34 05.20 – 06.35 Vammelsuu
Ltm. Urho Lehtovaara 3/HLeLv 34 05.20 – 06.35 Ino
Ltn. Reino Sartjärvi HLeLv 26 16.45 – 17.45 3 km E of Sakkola church

Juha
Old 23rd January 2017, 14:48

Thumbs up Re: Victors or cause 4 losses 102 GvIAP 1944

Hi,

many thanks,

regards

Adolf Galland