Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 30th November 2008, 16:19
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road
New book on Screwball Beaurling

Below is a response from Stephen to my latest enquiries - I trust he won't mind me reproducing them here.

Hi Brian,

I don't think it's a question of news travelling fast, just the fact that you're beating around the bush with the glut of questions, not only on 12 OCH but RAF Commands and god knows what other boards. Why not come out and say what you're doing? What's there to hide? I mean, it's all fine and dandy that you're doing this work on behalf of the crew in Malta refurbishing a direlect TM, but really, trying to hit two birds with one stone can be a little tricky and people, especially the ones who like to help others will loose their sense of humour.

Stephen

Yes, I am writing a book about Screwball Beurling, to be published in Malta in the new year. And yes, the Takali Air Museum is refurbishing their Tiger Moth to represent the machine that Beurling flew with 412 Squadron. I was requested by the Director of the Museum to establish the relevant details, if at all possible.

I am not trying to hide the fact that I am writing about Beurling, and I do thank those TOCH members you have kindly responded with information - I do hope that none of you will lose your sense of humour!

Cheers
Brian

Last edited by Brian; 30th November 2008 at 18:05.
Old 30th November 2008, 16:43

Bruce Lander is on a distinguished road
Re: New book on Screwball Beaurling

Hi Brian,

Great to hear you are writing a book on "Screwball", just in passing I wonder if you can comment on the following:-
In Troy White's book on Kidd Hofer he notes that Hofer was at Atcham from late June 43 to September 43 and that while there was tutored by Beurling on gunnery!
Now as Atcham was a USAAF base from 1942 to 1945 what was Beurling doing there?

Cheers

Bruce Lander
Old 30th November 2008, 17:43
Alter Hase

Hi Bruce

Screwball Beurling was posted to 61 OTU in July 1943, having spent a few weeks at Central Gunnery School Sutton Bridge. 61 OTU was based at RAF Rednal, a few miles north-west of Shrewsbury, and close to the former RAF airfield at Atcham, that had, as you indicate, been taken over by the USAAF for pilot conversion. Hofer had volunteered for fighter training, having transferred to the USAAF from the RCAF. It seems that Beurling gave talks on gunnery to the Americans during this period (July/August 1943).

Hope this helps

Cheers
Brian
Old 4th December 2008, 02:24

SMF144

Brian,

I have accumulated a lot of good material on Beurling. I eagerly await your book and seeing the Tiger Moth in a new scheme.

Cheerio

Stephen
Old 4th December 2008, 08:07

Jim Oxley is on a distinguished road

A concise accurate book on Beurling is long overdue. Good on you Brian for undertaking the task. Looking forward to it with much anticipation.

Will it be out in '09?
Old 4th December 2008, 12:40
Alter Hase

Hi Jim

Thanks - yes, the book is due out next spring; I hope that I have done justice to Screwball Beurling, though his life was full of intrigue and mystery. A truly fascinating guy. Concise and accurate? Remains to be seen!

Hi Stephen

The offer still stands - if you wish to contribute to the Beurling book -since you have 'a lot of good material' - I will gladly include 'new' material and give you full acknowledgement. Surely it's better to see 'your work' in print rather than hoarding it? I look forward to hearing from you again - hopefully with some contributions.

Cheers
Brian
Old 4th December 2008, 14:41

SMF144

Brian,

You lost me when you posted my "Private Message" on the board. Had I known you were going to pull that stunt, I would have posted it myself. As for hoarding my material on Beurling, where did you get that notion from? Assumptions aside, thanks for your kind offer of acknowledgement, but I have too much time and money invested in my "hoard" as you call it, to let it out, yet. I do have plans for it, so, stay tuned my friend.

Stephen
Old 4th December 2008, 16:42
Alter Hase

Stephen - you never cease to amaze me!

Following your attack on my character and intentions last year (see your PM, I have retained a copy), I fail to understand why you should have such a bad impression of me. What have I done to offend you?

Now that you advise your own plans to do a book on Beurling, I can understand your situation better. Why didn't you say you were writing a book? And why keep accusing me of pulling stunts?

You may not like my work - fair enough, say so. But don't keep back-stabbing.

I'll stay tuned, my friend!

Brian
Old 5th December 2008, 19:05

shooshoobaby is on a distinguished road

Brian , Bruce Et Al, RE Hofer and Beurling
From an Article by Kenn Rust " Last of the Red - Hot Pilots "
in the American Aviation Historical Society Journal Summer 1964.
On June 11th , 43 became F/O Ralph K. Hofer USAAF.
July 7 , 43 - First Flight in a P -47 Atcham AF
His Instructor was George Beurling .
" Screwball " was almost a Fanatic about Deflection Shooting and
Clobbering the Hun ". " Ralph learned a lot from Him ".
Cheers,
Mike
Old 5th December 2008, 20:47
Alter Hase

Many thanks, Mike

Every little bit helps.

Cheers
Brian