Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th February 2010, 00:20

Andreas Dillmann is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Ju 290 9V+DK / Hptm. Karl-Friedrich Bergen

Hi everybody,

this is my first time on this forum. I am a relative of Hptm. Karl-Friedrich Bergen of Fernaufklaerungsgruppe 5 (based at Mont de Marsan, France), who was shot down over the Atlantic on February 16th, 1944 with his Ju 290 A-5 9V+DK. In an older thread on this forum (August 2008), Chris Goss and others provided valuable information about the fate of KF Bergen and his crew, and also the names of the RAF pilots who brought them down.

Karl-Friedrich Bergen had two children (1 and 3 years old at the time of his death). His son Bernd died last year, but his daughter Gisela is still alive and woul appreciate any information about her father's fate. Therfore, I would be grateful for any source of information. And if Chriss Goss reads this: Where did you get your information of August 2008 from?
Old 5th February 2010, 08:13
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Ju 290 9V+DK / Hptm. Karl-Friedrich Bergen

Andreas: I can certainly tell you and Gisela all; I have sent you a Private Message (see top right of the page)
Chris Goss
Old 5th February 2010, 10:59
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

Andreas,
May I ask you, if you do have any photograph of your relative ( Hptm K-F Bergen ) and his crew? I am particularly interested in Oblt Kurt BAUMGARTNER ( which do have the same surname of mine ).. Was he regular aircrew of your relative?
Do you have logbooks that confirms Oblt Kurt Baumgartner as Bergen´s crew earlier?
Did they flew together before? Where? ( Which unit, etc...).
Could you put down here a short "resumé" of K-F Bergen´s career, like date and place of birth ( father + mother + brothers ), initial training, Squadrons he flew...number of missions, etc...It would be very interesting to everybody else who reads the threads, do you know...
I do guess there were very few airmen who flew operations on Ju 290...so this would enhance the knowledge of everyone.
I do thank you for ANY information about Oblt Kurt Baumgartner ( I am trying to track down ALL Baumgartners that fought in WW2 ).
Welcome aboard, you will see that there are really GREAT Historians down here and a lot of very nice gentlemen as well.
Yours
Adriano BAUMGARTNER
Old 5th February 2010, 11:01
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

By the way, ANDREAS, Chris Goss is a very well known Historian on WW2 subjects ( search on the net his books ) and an active Officer of the Royal Air Force.
I do not know if you knew that...
Adriano Baumgartner ( a civilian Commercial pilot )
Old 5th February 2010, 13:07

Hi Chris, Adriano:

thank you for your immediate response, that's really great! Since I am rather busy in my office right now, I will answer you in detail this evening.

Andreas
Old 5th February 2010, 20:45

Chris:

thank you very much for the details of KF Bergen's military career. Durlach is a small city which today belongs to Karlsruhe. Since there are several hospitals there, it is very likely that your information about the birth place is correct.

I will try my best to gather more information. On February 12, I will be in Berghausen since my mother is celebrating her 72nd birthday. It is very likely that KF Bergens daughter Gisela will also be there. Maybe she has some documents which I can scan; I will call her tomorrow. She can certainly provide photographs of KF Bergen, and my mother has also some letters (Feldpostbriefe) of KF Bergen to my grandparents. Maybe they contain some useful information, too.

Andreas
Old 5th February 2010, 20:54

Adriano:

thank you for the warm welcome. Chris Goss really provided me with quite interesting information, which stimulates me to revise the material of my family. As I told Chris, I will very likely meet Gisela in Berghausen next weekend. If I get any useful information, particularly about Oblt. Baumgartner, I will let you know. According to Chris, it seems at least sure that they flew their last mission together.

Andreas
Old 5th February 2010, 23:31

Adriano:

I found some information about Obltn. Kurt Baumgartner under the following link: http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/war-air...eb-1944-a.html. From this link, I copied the notice of loss (Verlustmeldung) for the two Ju 290 (see attached jpeg file). From this document, it is clear that Obltn. Baumgartner has been the second pilot of 9V+DK, as denoted by the "F." (Flugzeugführer) in the fourth column of the table.

Hope this bit of information ist helpful for you.

Andreas
Old 6th February 2010, 12:02
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point

The James has given quite a complete "Reihe" of docs, the most interesting are the cards shown by Andreas, these ones show exactly the same data as appearing in the GQM returns, with same names/figures/quote for each days , returns dated 19.Febr. under Nb 1310/44 these two losses represent the 11. nd 12. reported that day

Is more existing "allaround" ??

Rémi