Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Closed Thread

Old 11th June 2014, 03:03
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Seeking confirmation that photo was taken at Alencon AF, France, summer, 1940

Hello,

I've had a direct email from a French expert who says that this isn't Alencon. This could even be an airfield in Germany prior to the Western Campaign, rather than at Alencon just after the WC/FC. Does anyone recognize this place, in either France or western Germany.
Old 11th June 2014, 08:23
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Seeking photo of Bf110C-1 of Oblt Gordon Gallob, the Sta Kap of 3./ZG76 during the Polish Campaign period, or any time during 1939

Hello,

Oops, I did mean Oblt. Gordon Gollob's Sta Kap a/c with 3./ZG76 from the beginning of the war period. Thanx to Chris Goss for correcting my spelling.

Regards,
Old 11th June 2014, 10:12
Alter Hase

RudiS is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking confirmation that photo was taken at Alencon AF, France, summer, 1940

Larry,

Attached is a ebay auction photo with similar hangars. According to the seller this photo was taken at Lyon. Hope this might help.

Regards,
Rudi.

Last edited by RudiS; 23rd April 2016 at 16:03.
Old 11th June 2014, 13:34

Bertrand H is an unknown quantity at this point

Rudy,

Could be Lyon but before WWII there were many similar hangar called "Arnodin-Eiffel" in France.

Examples here :

http://www.planete-tp.com/IMG/pdf/Ha..._cle05543c.pdf

I think that the high tower will let us the solution.

Bertrand
Old 11th June 2014, 18:39
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Rudi and Bertrand,

Thanx for your inputs. So it seems that this is a French-style hangar (unless the Germans also used the same type), so it was taken somewhere in France, but apparently not Alencon. Someone should recognize that setting with the very tall control tower.

This is important because it helps me date the profile of Liensberger's aircraft in the photo. The camouflage and markings of V.(Z)/LG1 Bf110s during the WC/FC was complicated and this will help sort that out.
Old 11th June 2014, 18:48

Horst Weber
Re: Seeking ID of large industrial complex being overflown by Bf110C of St V.(Z)/LG1 Gr Kdr circa spring 1940

Good evening Larry !

In the front of the photo, you may see something like a river or a canal. In the center, before the industrial complex start, you see a huge coal dump. Between the coal dump and the industrial buildings, probably rail tracks are visible.

The scene looks like a steel-work with a considerable large coal-mine close to.

It could be in May+ 1940, since the trees are in full leafe.

It is possible, that the photo shows a steel-work in the northern part of the Ruhrgebiet (Germany) with free visibility to the flat landscape of the Münsterland in the North of the Ruhrgebiet.

Best wishes !

Horst Weber
Old 11th June 2014, 20:19
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Seeking ID of large industrial complex being overflown by Bf110C of St V.(Z)/LG1 Gr Kdr circa spring 1940

Horst,

Thanx for your observations. You may be right about this being a steel plant in Germany. The large "coal pile" may also be a giant slag heap from the steel production process. I've seen something similar adjacent to a large steel plant in southern Colorado here in the USA.

If it is a steel plant someone ought to be able to recognize it.
Old 11th June 2014, 21:23

Horst Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hickey View Post
Horst,

Thanx for your observations. You may be right about this being a steel plant in Germany. The large "coal pile" may also be a giant slag heap from the steel production process. I've seen something similar adjacent to a large steel plant in southern Colorado here in the USA.

If it is a steel plant someone ought to be able to recognize it.

Well , Larry forgive me,

It could also be a flight, departed at Mannheim-Sandhofen, still climbing and watching the BASF chemical-works at Ludwigshafen-on-the-Rhine. Would make more sense. But still no building ore chimney identified.

Best regards

Horst Weber
Old 11th June 2014, 22:27
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road

No idea where it could be, but maybe you can contact the people wirting the following website:
http://www.anciens-aerodromes.com/

Seems to me that you should have some replies there.
Old 11th June 2014, 23:05

Dan Gilberti

Hi,
My first idea it's "Toussus le noble " airfield in 78 department ( yvelines).
So difficult for me to found one pic from 1940 ...
Bsrg, Dan

Tags
eagles, europe