Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Closed Thread

Old 20th September 2016, 12:24
Alter Hase

knusel is on a distinguished road
Erich Hartmann's Bf109K

Good morning,

can anybody tell me when Erich Hartmann (or I./JG52) upgraded from Bf109G to Bf109K ?

Cheers,

Michael
Old 20th September 2016, 12:39

Nick Hector will become famous soon enoughNick Hector will become famous soon enough
Re: Erich Hartmann's Bf109K

Hi Michael,

Respectfully, there's no proof he ever did fly a Bf109K in action. Certainly, last known wartime photo shows him in front of a Bf109G-10 (the one where he is wearing a camouflage jacket, I am sure you probably know it)

Nick
Old 20th September 2016, 12:54
Alter Hase

knusel is on a distinguished road

Good morning Nick,

no, I didn't know that. Very intresting. Thanks.
The idea of a Hartmann Bf109K derived only from the AIRFIX Model kit and the Toliver/Constable book.

Have a nice Tuesday,

Michael
Old 20th September 2016, 13:27

PhilippeDM

There is though, a picture of what is a Bf109K with the distinctive tulipnose...

Philippe
Old 20th September 2016, 18:04

Stephen M. Fochuk is on a distinguished road

http://falkeeins.blogspot.ca/search/...ich%20Hartmann
Old 21st September 2016, 14:31

Nick Hector will become famous soon enoughNick Hector will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen M. Fochuk View Post
Stephen, Michael

This is about the best write-up on the subject that I have ever seen, thanks Stephen for posting

Nick
Old 21st September 2016, 17:54

PMoz99 is on a distinguished road

I read Falke Eins' views on Hartmann's "K-4" some time ago, and re-read it again recently.
He says he thinks it unlikely Hartmann would have used a K-4 because, perhaps amongst other reasons, it was designed primarily as a fighter-bomber.
My understanding is that some K-4's were built with a 20mm motorkanone rather than the 30mm, and that in some cases the gun gondolas were removed in the field. Wouldn't a K-4 in this setup be the superior fighter? Even if the somewhat temperamental 30mm was retained, with care I would have thought it would still be the superior option.
The fact that there is no known evidence that he flew a K-4 doesn't mean he didn't.
So, did Hartmann specify a 109G in all his logbook entries? Or do we simply not know what he flew at times?
Old 22nd September 2016, 12:32

gaupe75 is on a distinguished road

I also find the reasoning from falkeeins a little strange, the K4 made a formidable fighter, comparable to the Dora and P51D and K.

But there is a different reason which might be more important, did they have access to C3-fuel? Was the reason for keeping the G6, because of the getting hold of B4 was more secure?

It has been said about Hartmann, that he had an intuition about what plane to fly, he just might be resisting to move away from something steady and sure for something more experimental.
Old 22nd September 2016, 14:18
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Among other reasons not to change, even if a K-4 were available, would be the poor build-quality of many new aircraft. If one had a "good" G-10 that one trusted, why take the chance of changing? Second World War aircraft could vary greatly from machine to machine.

TNA AIR40/1891, "2nd. T.A.F. Air Prisoners of War Interrogation Unit reports nos. 85-121/45", noted that Oberstleutnant Fritz Aufhammer of JG 301:
"… considered that the Ta 152 was more than a match for any Allied fighter in service but owing to its bad workmanship and finish it was not so reliable as the Fw 190 D-9."
Think also of Douglas Bader who stuck to an eight machine-gun Spitfire even when "better" armament was available.
Old 22nd September 2016, 23:19

gaupe75 is on a distinguished road

Yes, and there were plenty of pilots that didn't want to switch over to the 109 G when it was available, due to issues with engine fires.

At least there is one thing we can conclude, there is not any given reason to switch to a newer model, just beacuse you can.

I guess these pilots had been through their batch of good planes and bad planes, and knew when to stick to a good one.
Closed Thread