Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 15th July 2018, 03:33

chinesefox is on a distinguished road
Re: Latest from Michael Balss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
Hi,

typos, lack of airmen names, wrong village names etc.

Regards

Robert
Hi

I knew the issue of 'lack of airmen names' before I purchased vol 1(I glanced through the preview pages before I place the order)

Didn't aware of typos & wrong village names.

Are there many typos & errors such as' wrong village names' in Vol 1?

thank you
Old 15th July 2018, 09:22
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
Hi,

typos, lack of airmen names, wrong village names etc.

Regards

Robert
Thanks Robert

I can only presume that much of that is as it was taken from his original sources. I cannot fancy either GQM or NVM to bend over backwards to get Polish names right for example. Maybe he never found any Polish citizen who wanted to help him....perhaps he never tried.....

Lack of names is more puzzling, but some of the returns are extremely hard to read....

Typos unfortunately is something we all have to live with.

Cheers
Stig
Old 15th July 2018, 10:18

Alfred.MONZAT is on a distinguished road

From what I've heard his previous works and his database were know for these typos and errors (some also mentioned dubious sources), that's why I didn't buy his database at $65 last year. So I will not buy 2000€ of books just for a translation (?).
Old 25th July 2018, 08:55

Doug Stankey is on a distinguished road

Having just completed digesting the "Deutsche Luftwaffe Losses & Claims" Part 28 by Michael Balss, I feel the need to give it an evaluation.

While this is a very spare looking production, it does concentrate on what is important; the essential facts regarding Losses and Claims. Balss has attempted to gather what data he could find from all sources and it appears that he has done a reasonable job of that for this difficult period. He covers all unit types (JG, KG, St.G., Aufkl.Gr., TG, etc.) but deals only in flying units. No Flak, Ln. or other.

Whether or not it is "worth it" at $(Can) 65 per volume (from Amazon) is debatable depending on your needs. But I feel that it is worthwhile for us if only because it helps fill many gaps and because this is a very limited production run of a specialized work.

The Losses are most informative, attempting to cover all the losses. This has cleared up a number of mysteries. It has added some "new guys", but not a huge number.
The Claims data has also yielded some new guys, but not many. This area is dull by comparison to the Losses data.

Regarding missing names - there are few missing first names - presumeably due to source data limitations. Coverage of this series apparently skips prewar period. While I am sure that there numerous deficiencies, these appear to be quite minor in the grand scheme.

My overall impression is essentially positive, but naturally one wishes for more detail, but this would be carping in view of the massive effort to compile all this. I think that Michael Balss has done the Lutwaffe enthusiast community a great service and deserves a thank you.

Doug Stankey,
Luftwaffe Officer Career Summaries editor.