Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th April 2014, 23:26
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Seeking photos of crash of 3./KG3 Do17Z near RR Station at St-Dizier, France on 12.05.40

Hello,

I'm trying to locate any photos of the remains of the Do17Z, reported as 5K+EL, that crashed near the RR Station at St-Dizier, France, on May 12, 1940. Probably no more than wreckage. Does anyone have anything on this? Has anyone found photos of this crash at the local historical society newspaper, etc?

From the EoE LW loss DB:

"12 May 1940: 3./KG3
Dornier Do17Z. Hit by AA fire during attack on motorised columns between Stenay and Vouziers, then engaged by Moranes near Blesmes and starboard engine set alight in attacks by Capt Bouvarre, Sgt Bernadon, and Sgt Moulnes of GC III/7. Crashed in flames and exploded near the railway station at St-Dizier (France) 1.00 p.m. FF Lt Klaus Zehge killed, BO Lt Alfred Paleit (of Stab I./KG3), BF Obergefr Walter Schubert, and BM Gefr Kurt Jahraus baled out low and captured unhurt – all later released. Aircraft 5K+EL 100% write-off."

Can anyone help?

Regards,

Old 7th April 2014, 06:59

Rémi Baudru is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking photos of crash of 3./KG3 Do17Z near RR Station at St-Dizier, France on 12.05.40

Hello,

I have not yet seen photos of this totally destroyed Dornier. I should like to add some remarks :

- In the french archives (aviation and anti aircraft batterie), the three Dornier involved in this action where flying low and made one after one bombing runs, trying to cut the very important railway "Y" near the village of Blesmes (this spot was so important that a french anti aircraft batterie was there).

- the road linking Vouziers and Stenay is 80 kilometers north from Saint-Dizier where this plane felt. So I am very doubtfull when I read that their objective was to hit traffic on this road.

- the "Y" near Blesmes is less than 6 kilometers from the Vitry Le François landing ground from where the four Morane of Groupe de Chasse III/7 where ordered to scramble. The Dornier where so close that they where seen from the landing ground (one of the four Morane did not start because the mechanic in charge of starting the engine took cover, thincking that their airfield was going to be bombed again.
The three Dornier tried to escape in the east direction. The Donier shot down felt, as you wrote, near the railway station of Saint Dizier (11 or 12 kilometers east from Blesmes).

- the name of one of the three french pilotes is Moulène.

Regards.
RB
Old 7th April 2014, 11:06
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Seeking photos of crash of 3./KG3 Do17Z near RR Station at St-Dizier, France on 12.05.40

Rémi,

Thanx for your information. I will make sure that this is passed on to Peter Cornwell so that he can see if adjustments should be made to our account. We will also save this information for use with the more detailed account of this mission that will appear in our text. In the meantime, if you or anyone else can locate photos of this crash site, I would appreciate knowing about this.

Regards,
Old 7th April 2014, 13:56

udf_00 is on a distinguished road

For those who can read french, here is an account (second-hand?) from Capitaine Pierre Bouvarre, which is more in line of what Remi Baudru wrote.
http://forum.aviation-ancienne.fr/t7199-12-mai-1940
search for "GC III/7"
About the mispelled name, seems the fog of war is still prevailing : Sergent-Chef Adonis Moulène, Moulènes or Moulèmes...
Old 7th April 2014, 21:07
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

udf,

Thanx. This further refines the information. Now we need to make sure that we get the name of the French pilot with the variable name spelling, correctly identified.

Still hope some photos turn up.

Regards,
Old 8th April 2014, 07:55

Rémi Baudru is on a distinguished road

I am totaly sure of the right spelling of the name Moulène (I meet his widow 20 years ago).
RB