Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 5th December 2009, 00:30

markjsheppard is an unknown quantity at this point
Lake Michigan Hellcat - VF-38 Emblem found

Hopefully someone (besides Jack) will have something else to add to emblem of VF-38.

Attached are a few photos.

One from Jack showing a wartime photo of OC Hellcat with the emblem.

One of my photos of the emblem on the Hellcat 25910 - lots of missing paint though quite a lot visible. Also thought to be White 2 with VF-38.

A drawing (no not by my 10 year old son - would probably be better) - tracing and colours. I prefer straight line architectural drawing! Gives an indication though!

So a few Q&A
The emblem is a white circle with black edge. At the bottom is Navy wings and on it is a 'monkey' (without hopefully offending if wrong!) standing/surfing on it. The character has a 'Uncle Sam' style hat and we are trying to establish if it carrying a bomb in the left hand and a scythe in the right.

VF-33 at the same time also had a Monkey as an emblem.

It might be that someone else knows a bit more about the reasoning - could it be carrying something else. There is usually a reason behind an emblem and would like to have some feedback ideas.

Have a good weekend

regards

Mark

PS Again - check the Flypast link.
http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showth ... ost1497171
Old 8th December 2009, 18:02

markjsheppard is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Lake Michigan Hellcat - VF-38 Emblem found

Re-drawn (my drawings not improving!) and coloured the emblem as per the visible remaining paint - only the gun is the unclear part - little remains.

Interesting - no official record of this emblem - thought to be unofficial and from the period they were land based - Sept 1943. It went to a fighting Cockerel with sharp claws later 1943-45.

regards

MS

Check Flypast link
http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=96160