Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 19th December 2014, 02:53
Alter Hase

researcher111 will become famous soon enough
Re: Identity of F-5 Lightning crashed on take off Vis Island -March/April 44

Hello

Useful information , will you please name the book and the author ?

Thanks in advance
Old 19th December 2014, 17:04
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough

Researcher,

Not from a book but quoted from a microfilm roll that's held at the AFHSO...

Regards,

Leendert
Old 20th December 2014, 00:13
Alter Hase

Oh OK thanks and how can I access the site containg microfilms ?

Best Regards
Old 20th December 2014, 10:52
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough

Researcher,

Start page is here: http://www.afhso.af.mil/questions/askahistorian.asp

Regards,

Leendert
Old 20th December 2014, 15:32
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point

As the initiator of this thread, I 'd like to thank all the people who have contributed.
Old 22nd December 2014, 16:50
Alter Hase

Leendert, I am familiar with the procedure, though not sure if they will grant access to their research data base, the reason I was asking is because there's a book named 27th FSQ War Diary by F.Lawson . At page 140 there are some remarks about Lt.Kim's fate,though your update is more detailed
Old 22nd December 2014, 21:07
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

Researcher111,

The material being discussed is the collection of microfilms prepared many years ago at (what is now) the USAF Historical Research Agency. It has gone through several name changes. They brought in a contractor and told him to "start in the upper left hand corner, and microfilm everything". Which they did. Being a government contractor, it was low bid. There does not seem to have been a heavy investment in quality control. The original documents are all still down at USAFHRA at Maxwell AFB, and can be accessed there. They can still be purchased on microfilm, at $30/reel. I have encountered unreadable frames on the microfilm, and when I have asked if they could go to the original, and make a (Xerox) copy I have received back a perfectly readable piece of paper. I suggest that you do not purchase microfilm however, as, over the 30-40 years I have been researching I have found that the readability of the microfilms deteriorates. Several years ago they instituted a program to copy the microfilms to PDF, and they now sell the reels as a massive PDF file, for the same $30 price. I recommend purchasing the PDFs, as the PDF controls will allow you to blow the images up in scale, which can make them readable.

Knowing which reels to purchase however, can be a problem. The website http://airforcehistoryindex.org/ has a copy of the IRIS index to the holdings of USAFHRA as of 2003, which can be searched. Although the search mechanism is not obvious. You can request the raw data for the 2003 IRIS index from that website; it comes as a zip file with 9 MS Excel csv (comma separated values) files, totaling about 41meg. I requested it, and built myself an MS Access file from those files (and made it a little easier to search). There are instructions on the website for how to order films and PDFs (supplied on CD).

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 23rd December 2014, 03:24
Alter Hase

Frank

Thanks very much for the clarifications . As a matter of fact I am in touch with two agencies one National Personnel Record Center and the other AFRHS, both require
all applicants to go through lengthy security verifications by fax , in addition I live in Europe and they do warn in advance all parties regarding long delays. I am not really into microfilms but CD's primarily in getting files and photos of KIA and MIA airmen of the 9th and 15th AF's periods '43 and '44 . Once I was granted such access and sent them payments ,I suspect that this what they offer to the public may be already commercially available for for free download on the Net or for sale elsewhere. I never dealt with them before I've got general experiences with international archives, in most of the cases they don't have what one may be looking for but just casual stuff previously published elsewhere in same cases I ended up paying for just getting blank pages ( Russian military (TsAMO) & Rumanian military archives ). Luftwaffe and German military archives they reply rather fast but in my case due lack of relevant records it ended up being put on a holding pattern ending up with nothing at all. Of course I'll give it a try though I don't put much hopes on such Agencies.

Last edited by researcher111; 23rd December 2014 at 19:51.