Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 1st September 2010, 21:43
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Most silly title of the year?

Hi Guys

Mr E.R. Hooton is about to publish another "complete" book about the Luftwaffe 1933-45. Obviously the same publisher (Classic) has not managed to pursuade him to finish what he started a couple of years ago in what at least looked like a more ambitious project. Hopefully Mr Hooton has not set this title himself

http://www.ianallanpublishing.com/th...m_medium=email

Is there anyone else but me who thinks Classic aka Midland Counties jumping into bed with Ian Allan has produced a more or less lousy homepage compared to what they once had? Trying to read more from Ian Allan about this book gives us the interesting fact it weights 501 grams, but they don't have a clue about the number of pages. On one page they confirm the author is Hooton, but on the product details the author(s) is unknown.... my, my, my...

Any takers?

Cheers
Stig
Old 1st September 2010, 22:36

Martin Gleeson is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Most silly title of the year?

Hallo Stig,

Concerning the Midland Counties/Ian Allen tie-up I agree with you totally ! I cannot find any book title in their catalogue now since the change. There is less - and less accurate - information about the books. They seem to want to get rid of the printed catalogues, as you now have to tick a box when ordering to receive catalogues in the future. They have also ceased advertising in FLYPAST. This was a great source of information about books just published or about to be published. I think this is going to backfire on them seriously. I have no intention of browsing through their website for hours at a time. I am becoming very cross just writing this !

Over the last 20 years I have bought several hundred books from them, so I do have an interest in how they operate.

Regards,

Martin.
Old 1st September 2010, 23:08

Peter D Evans is on a distinguished road

Add me to the list of unhappy users of the revamped Ian Allan website. Whilst chatting to Robert Forsyth recently, I asked him to make them aware of how difficult it was to find anything since the unnecessary changes...

Cheers
Peter D Evans
LEMB Administrator
Old 2nd September 2010, 02:11

Sergio Luis dos Santos

It´s a terrible page to do a search. How they think will welcome potential buyers with that? Maybe Í´m becoming old and can´t understand the progress on the web...
Old 2nd September 2010, 05:52
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Their site is indeed a mess. The info is often contradictory and numerous long trem Midland customers have been quite annoyed by the new site. Quite inconceivable as even amazon.co.uk provides more reliable data.
Old 2nd September 2010, 18:10
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

Maybe the correct title should be E.R. Hooton "The Complete Rehash"?!

Seriously, I did like his "Phoenix Triumphant".

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 2nd September 2010, 20:48

Bombphoon is on a distinguished road

I deliberately stopped buying from Midlands Counties about 5 years ago.

They produced a second-hand books catalogue that often had some nice rare titles in it. But they had the most bizarre and ridiculous ordering system.

If you ordered or phone ordered, they could not tell you if it was still in stock. You had to wait a couple of weeks to get a letter to say whether you had been successful in buying it, rather like a lottery! I ordered six titles and had to wait 2 weeks to find they had already sold them. I don't know any other company that has such a ridiculous ordering process.

I also hate to have to admit it, but I cannot afford to be a charity and pay their full book cover prices (plus postage) when the same books are far cheaper (with free postage) on Amazon.
Old 2nd September 2010, 21:03

thenelm is on a distinguished road

Another who is agreement that the 'new' website is next to useless.
Old 2nd September 2010, 21:08

Peter D Evans is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruy Horta View Post
Maybe the correct title should be E.R. Hooton "The Complete Rehash"?!
This is what Robert Forsyth had to say on this title over here on the LEMB back in April:

"Ian Allan Publishing, who own Classic Publications, decided to pull the plug on the short-lived 'Luftwaffe at War' series because it didn't sell. Luftwaffe at War was produced by Chevron Publishing on Ian Allan's behalf. We commissioned E.R. Hooton to write the series.

Later I managed to commission two books with Ian Allan who wanted 'military history text hardbacks with plate sections'. I went back to E.R.Hooton (Ted) because I knew that he had conducted research in two areas: firstly tactical and corps-level operations over the Western Front between 1916-1918. The results of that research have recently been published as 'War over the Trenches'; it is massive in scope and breathtaking in its investigative work. Secondly, in accordance with the earlier brief to produce 'Luftwaffe at War' (pulled), Ted significantly revised, updated and expanded his Phoenix books and the results of that curtailed labour have gone, happily, to produce a fresh single-volume history of the Luftwaffe as 'a study in air power'. 127,000 words, 44 photos. IA perceive a market for this kind of text-based history (Waterstones, Barnes & Noble etc). Not sure how accurate this is, (I have only edited the book, not been involved in the production) but the IA catalogue states the book will be 224 pages (229 x 152 mm). I have not yet seen proofs from the publisher. FWIW War over the Trenches was 336 pages."

Incidentally, this title is available for pre-order on Amazon for £17.49...

Cheers
Peter D Evans
LEMB Administrator
Old 2nd September 2010, 22:14
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Guys

Glad to know I am not the only one disliking Ian Allan's site.

With regard to the silly title I still believe it is. No one makes a complete history about the Luftwaffe in 224 pages. To me it seems like Ted Hooton has had to cut his ca 10 volume history about the Luftwaffe with Ian Allan into a single title which makes the "complete" in the present title total nonsense.

Cheers
Stig