Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 21st April 2019, 22:12

sveahk
Re: Ludwig Nitsch 38 "kills"...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
The somewhat controversial "38 kills" statement - that started the discussion here - comes from the above link.

For more information, you can scroll back to the first post of this thread.

Hans K
Old 24th April 2019, 17:10

Christer Engdahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christer Engdahl View Post
Today, I had a conversation on this subject. I can't find my source for the quoted statement and there is also the possibility that the original was not returned to Russia but was scrapped in Sweden. Sorry for any confusion.
I went to the library and had a look in Bo Widfeldts "Tyska nödlandare 1939 - 1945" (German forced landings 1939 - 1945). This book was most likely the source of the statement that the aircraft had been returned to Russia.

Nitsch took off from Windau (Ventspils) in Latvia which is the probable cause of the claim for the aircraft from Russia. According to the book, on page 166, it is stated that "the aircraft was recovered to Bulltofta (at the time, a Swedish military airbase) and the wreck was handed over to soviet personnel on November 8, 1945".
Old 1st March 2023, 15:15

sveahk

In november 2018 I wrote this: "It's called "En svensk Focke-Wulf 190 : En dramatisk svensk-tysk flyghistoria" (A swedish Focke-Wulf 190: A dramatic swedish-german flight history) and is written by Christer Bergström."

Now published, in November 2022, a small booklet of under 100 pages, it arrived this week on my desk.

Tells the "Wulfen"-story - the crashed pieces of the original Focke-Wulf 190 obviously never left Sweden, those lying outside the Malmö airport Bulltofta, where people over time grabbed "souvenirs" of a German warplane!

When then the time came to "rebuild" the plane, some of those pieces "reappeared", most important an original plate with the Werknummer 739137. Claus Collings Flug Werk in Germany fitted those parts into the new FW 190, in Sweden now called "Wulfen".

Unfortunately it doesn't say in the book how many and what parts are original...

After that, Christer Bergström tells the Luftwaffe history of Franz Eisenach, who also flew this special FW 190 A-8.

...and then comes Ludwig Nitsch.

Here we can read that Nitsch told the Swedish interrogator after landing in Sweden, that he shot down 3 B-17. Bergström assumes this must have happened during his time in I./JG 108 (24.4.44 - 6.1.11945)...!?

Then his time in I./JG 54 in Courland. Nitsch was possibly Katschmarek to Lt. Fritz Tegtmeier. Furthermore, it says in the book, that this 3.division had "lots to do during January 1945". (According to the unwritten chronic of I./JG 54 by Alois Riebl.)

And then we have this thing with his "38 kills". Which started my thread years ago. A number which Christer also says solely comes from the mouth of Ludwig Nitsch - in Swedish, "enligt egen utsago"(by his own admission). No documentation...

So that's it, nothing new...and it'll probably stray that way...

Hans K