Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 2nd September 2018, 12:21

JonOlsen88 is on a distinguished road
Me 262 with spotted camo and unusually sloppy paint job

Could anyone identify the WN.r of this very unusual-looking Me 262? The fin has the numbers 75 painted on it in small letters, so I'm assuming these are the last two letter of the WN.r. Thoughts about this machine?

Best regards,

Jon
Old 2nd September 2018, 20:35
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Re: Me 262 with spotted camo and unusually sloppy paint job

It appears the man looking at the tail is a US Signal Corps Officer. It is normal to have no visible sleeve insignia or anything visible on the cap. The 75 looks like a factory/production marking. Or it could have been written on the fin for identification purposes by US Technical Intelligence. The bad paint job could have been the result of using whatever paint was on hand, in a hurry.

The finished low wall in the picture and the higher wall visible in the second indicates some type of concrete structure that may have once been covered by camouflage netting. The wooden container (if it is a container) reminds me of something but I can't recall what.
Old 7th September 2018, 19:30

RolandF is on a distinguished road

The cut-out across the swastika seems to be drilled-out from a wooden construction. Then this might be one of the wooden tail units stencil-painted with a distinctive camo combination.
Looks like the brighter portion (RLM 76?) of this camo was painted over crudely for obvious reasons

Regards
RolandF
Old 8th September 2018, 13:41

JonOlsen88 is on a distinguished road

Excellent observations! Some people on a Facebook group likewise suggested that the "75" is a factory marking or from the subcontractor. Perhaps the tail or parts of it were wooden. Others think the paint was applied directly over bare metal. David Brown suggests that the rudder is metal. I do agree that the spotted camo somewhat resembles the camo on the wooden fins that were fitted to some early production Me 262s. However, the camo on those wooden tails was very consistently and neatly stenciled. In contrast, the pattern on this machine's tail is rather haphazard. Interestingly, the spotted camo also seems to have been applied all around the fuselage sides and uppersurfaces. Wings too.

Tags
me 262, messerschmitt 262