Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 19th June 2008, 03:27
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
mystery D-9

Parabellum posted a D-9 tail http://i6.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/b2/0b/57de_1.JPG

Its WNr. Under Photoshop is 212 152. The QmG records show this as follows:

Fw 190D-9, 212152, Markert, Uffz. Hans, II./JG 6, 22-Mar-45, Injured in Bauchlandung due to engine trouble., Lfl.6/Einsatz Osten, Gen.Qu.6.Abt. (mfm #12); Gen.Qu.6.Abt.-BA-MA Signatur RL 2 III/1199, p.90, Groß-Lieskow, 30%

However, this location cannot be as it’s near Cottbus, captured by Soviet troops on 23-Apr-45. But, that is an American officer and there’s snow, indicating late winter. The 3rd Army got into northern Czech., but that’s a long way from Cottbus. Any ideas?
Old 19th June 2008, 09:17

Keizer Cali
Re: mystery D-9

Hi John,

I noticed this as well - if II./JG 6 / Lfl. 6, etc. reported the W.Nr. correctly, it means that, as a minimum, W.Nr. 212152 was assessed as "repairable" and evacuated for refurbishment, as otherwise it would never have ended up at Neubiberg A/F. The fact that JG 6's area of operations in spring 1945 encompassed the region of Sorau and Cottbus (where Focke-Wulf had major aircraft works) may certainly have sped up the repair process.

On the supposition that the aircraft was effectively refurbished, it may then have found its way to another Geschwader that ended the war in Southern Germany - e.g., JG 2 are known to have had a number of D-9s from the W.Nr. 212xxx production batch on strength.

I will certainly continue to look into this case and will refer back to this forum when I can turn up something substantial.

Cheers,

Marc
Old 19th June 2008, 10:38
Alter Hase

Pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Image is interesting. But any info about the winnter- maybe late '45? In that time relations between Soviet and West was good so it is possible even visit of this US airmanto the "other zone". Data is a little bit confusing or this is one of the topic where is clearly display that archive data should be taken with great care.
Owner: www.sreckobradic.com
Owner: www.warplanes-zine.com
Email: srecko.warplane@gmail.com
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/LetLet...s/308234397758
Old 19th June 2008, 18:50
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

John, there is a photo of a removed Dora tail with a WNr indicating it was lost on the East with JG26, nonetheless photo was taken at British Zone of occupation. I would not trust documents but photos may be misleading as well, the tail section being exchanged for example. Oh, and I doubt if any Allied soldiers were allowed to freely travel around Soviet zone.
Old 19th June 2008, 19:10
Alter Hase

Pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Oh, and I doubt if any Allied soldiers were allowed to freely travel around Soviet zone.
Depend who, how deep and where. As I know there was no restriction. Never take attention on this but if I could remember I have seen some movie long time ago where is show mixed uniform in "red" zone. Maybe you have chance to see this.
Owner: www.sreckobradic.com
Owner: www.warplanes-zine.com
Email: srecko.warplane@gmail.com
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/LetLet...s/308234397758
Old 19th June 2008, 20:26
Super Moderator

Thanks, guys, for the replies. Franek, I agree with you: the USSR occupation forces did not allow Americans to roam around in their zone.

But, we still have a mystery.................
Old 19th June 2008, 21:14
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

Aircraft was found at Berlin-Tempelhof. Apparantly transported to Tempelhof for repair after bellylanding on 22 march 1945.

Cheers,

John
Old 19th June 2008, 23:40
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Manrho View Post
Aircraft was found at Berlin-Tempelhof. Apparantly transported to Tempelhof for repair after bellylanding on 22 march 1945.

Cheers,

John
Thanks, John. So, does this mean the photo was taken in the winter snows of 45/46 in Berlin?

BTW, what is the source of your information?

Thanks
Old 19th June 2008, 23:42
Alter Hase

John Manrho will become famous soon enough

I am told this picture belongs to a serie of pictures taken at Tempelhof, that's all I know....cheers, John
Old 20th June 2008, 09:30
In Memoriam

Eric Larger

Hello,

I agree with John, this picture appeared several weeks ago, in a group of photos taken at Templehoff , Fuselages , wings and engines of Fw 190As were depcited too... The large hangars of this airfield where easilly recognizable .

When looking carefully at these known photos not less than 2 Fw 190D-9s ' fuselages can me found too .

According to me , this will be the best option , as Tempelhoof was used for recycling Focke Wulf components . So it will explain why this machine , belly landed in March 1945, was found there . This was not far from the theater of operation of II./JG6.

Eric