Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 14th January 2018, 21:02

Lee Howard is on a distinguished road
Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1939 to 1945

Hi all

Just joined the forum (not heard of it before!).

Some of you may know that I co-authored the Air-Britain books 'Fleet Air Arm Fixed-Wing Aircraft since 1946', 'Fleet Air Arm Helicopters since 1943' and, last year, 'The Squadrons and Units of the Fleet Air Arm'.

Next on the list is the long-awaited fully revised (and, in many cases, corrected) second edition of 'Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1939 to 1945' with Mick Burrow.

Mick and I are currently working on the title and much new information has come to light since the original went to press in 1995.

While we have made a lot of corrections to information that was printed in good faith at the time, we are always conscious that others may have spotted errors, or have additional information which they might not necessarily pass on - probably in the belief that the files were not being kept up to date.

I would therefore like to ask anyone with any additional (or corrective) information to drop me a line if they think that what they have might help to make the next edition even more accurate.

We're also always on the look-out for new photos as the next edition will be much better illustrated than the original.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Lee
Old 16th January 2018, 10:43

BruceMk11 is on a distinguished road
Re: Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1939 to 1945

Lee,

Will it include a/c in use by the Dominion navies between 1939-45? And what is the time frame for publication?

Welcome to the forum,

Bruce
Old 16th January 2018, 10:58

Bruce

No, the coverage is the same as the first edition (there is only so many pages you can squeeze into one book while still making it saleable) but there were known to be a number of errors in that version (as is always the way) and in the intervening 23 years since publication much new information has come our way. Added to that, the printing quality has improved immensely, so it will be very much a far superior new edition.

Probably another 2 years until publication, I think. So, still time to accept new information and/or images!

Lee
Old 18th January 2018, 02:07

Martin Gleeson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Lee,

Welcome to the forum. Delighted to learn of the revised edition in preparation. I recall reading about such a possibility many years ago in an Air-Britain magazine but feared it would never come to pass after Ray Sturtivant passed on.

I will try to email you via the PM system on this forum.

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.
Old 19th January 2018, 20:46

For some reason my account has not yet been activated and I cannot receive PMs...
Old 21st January 2018, 06:57

BruceMk11 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Lee, looking forward to it. No doubt will be worth the wait.
Old 21st January 2018, 10:29
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Howard View Post
For some reason my account has not yet been activated and I cannot receive PMs...
For the same reason that applies to everyone here. We get inundated by spammers trying to register (several each day), so everyone's on “probation” until they've made five legitimate posts (your first five won’t be visible until approved by a moderator). After that private messages will work — we’ve had a case in the past of a spammer using the PM facility to bombard members with junk mail—which did not make the recipients happy—hence the precaution.
Old 22nd January 2018, 03:13

DuncanM is on a distinguished road

Hi. I'm really looking forward to some of these new titles and a revised edition of FAA Aircraft 1939 to 1945.

thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 20:11

Martin Gleeson is an unknown quantity at this point

Nick,

Am I correct in believing Lee need one more post on this thread in order for you to activate his account ? I still cannot contact him via the PM system.

Regards,

Martin.
Old 27th January 2018, 20:21
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gleeson View Post
Nick,

Am I correct in believing Lee need one more post on this thread in order for you to activate his account ? I still cannot contact him via the PM system.

Regards,

Martin.
Yes, I think that's how Ruy set things up. See post #7 above.

Tags
air-britain, aircraft, fleet air arm, navy, serials