Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East

Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East Please use this forum to discuss the Air War in the Far East.

Old 2nd January 2005, 16:15

Magnus
British Wellingtons and Halifaxes vs the Japanese

Hi everybody and a Happy New Year!

I´ve been looking for information about the Wellingtons used against the Japanese,but only found "basic" information.
Also, I have seen a picture of a Halifax in an old Aircraft in Profile,if memory serves me correct it said that it was used for radar-monitoring.
Are there any good books or links about these British bombers and their operations against the Japanese?

Regards/Magnus
Old 3rd January 2005, 12:34
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road
Wellingtons & Halifax Operations in the Far East

I agree that the coverage of Wellington & Halifax Ops in the Far East is small, but then again so is everything else concerning the war against the Japanese, including the 'Forgotten' 14th Army.

225 Group RAF was formed in mid January 1942 in India. 215 Sqn with Wellington joined 225 Group arrived in April and started operations on 23rd April 1942 to be joined shortly afterwards by 99Sqn, both of which were equipped with Mk 1C's. In April 1943 the first Mk X's were received, plus a few Mk III's with 99Sqn, which served principly as night bombers for another year until both Squadrons re-equipped with Liberator Mk VI's in Summer 1944.

As for Halifax ops there is a little info in The Handley Page Halifax by KA Merrick, Aston Publications 1990 ISBN 0 946627 60 8, which gives details of 1577 Flight RAF on pages 170-173
Old 3rd January 2005, 13:27
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road
Wellington & Halifax Ops in the Far East

I should have mentioned 1577 Flight RAF was a Trials & Transport Flight, which carried out transport and glider towing tests from 5th October 1943 until disbandment 1st June 1946. The Unit also had a few Lancasters.

A second Halifax unit, 1341 Special Duties Flight RAF was sent out to India in January 1945 to investigate Japenese Radar but it was not until May 1945 that the Flight was ready at Digri to commence Ops.. It then became 1341 Radio Countermeasures Flight in July 1945.
Old 10th January 2005, 22:27

Magnus
Hi Larry!

Thanks for the info,I´ve been having trouble with the internet so I havent been able to say thank you.

I think it would be interesting to learn more about these SEAC ops,lets hope for The Aeroplane or Flypast to give us a series of articles on this subject.

Regards/Magnus
Old 11th January 2005, 11:30

klemen
Hi Larry!

Any chance you could also help us with some answers about RAF composition (TIGER FORCE) in the Far East 1945 on our message forum? I'm kinda interested in this subject too.

The question about RAF in the Far East:
http://f16.parsimony.net/forum27947/messages/5791.htm

lp,

Klemen
Old 11th March 2012, 17:41

Empiricist is on a distinguished road
Re: Wellington & Halifax Ops in the Far East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
I should have mentioned 1577 Flight RAF was a Trials & Transport Flight, which carried out transport and glider towing tests from 5th October 1943 until disbandment 1st June 1946. The Unit also had a few Lancasters.
Hello,

Did they really tow any gliders? If I am not mistaken a Horsa or two were delivered then to the Far East but those gliders literally disappeared being eaten by the termites soon after assembling. The US CG-4As were much better chemically protected against insects. What is more, according to Anglo-American agreement the USAAF's 1st Air Commando Group towed the gliders both for the US and Commonwealth forces.

Tags
1st air commando group, horsa