Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 8th August 2007, 09:46

Mikkel Plannthin
28 squadron, S/L H G F Larsen, DFC, 1944

I am looking for further information regardning this squadron, i.e. squadron history etc. My interest in the unit origins in the fact that a Henry Gordon Francis Larsen is awarded the DFC in 1944 and LG notes his rank and posting as acting S/L in No 28 sqn. He is appointed W/C in 1953.

A record in the LG from 1932 indicates that he (or rather his father) is Austrian, but a Danish source records him among Danish pilots. The family name sounds Danish/Scandinavian rather than Austrian! Hence my interest.

I have searched the NA for a reference to the 28 sqn ORB of the period. Is it true that only a WWI and from Oct. 1945 is available?

TIA, Mikkel
Old 8th August 2007, 12:23

Smithy is on a distinguished road
Re: 28 squadron, S/L H G F Larsen, DFC, 1944

Hi Mikkel,

Just my two cents worth. The surname and the spelling of it (as you know) is either Norwegian or Danish. However his given names are all British. I would therefore imagine that it is far more likely that he has Danish or Norwegian ancestry on his paternal side but was born in the UK.

Something to consider,

Smithy.
Old 8th August 2007, 13:01

Mikkel Plannthin

I agree, but neither sounds Austrian!

Light has been sheed at the RAF Commands Forum:
http://www.rafcommands.com/dcforum/D...ID6/15037.html

Following this reply I have tried to locate the family in the US records, but without luck.

Mikkel
Old 8th August 2007, 13:37

Smithy is on a distinguished road

American born and English educated.

Possibly from a British family with a father working in either the diplomatic, financial or academic spheres?
Old 8th August 2007, 16:41

Mikkel Plannthin

His father was Paul Larsen, Picture Dealer, Duke Street, London at least in 1950.

Mikkel