Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 30th June 2022, 11:55
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough
Re: Das Jagdflugzeug Messerschmitt Bf 109. Technik / Eigenschaften / Leistung / Stückzahlen / Bewährung.

It looks like a very impressive book, just by the sheer number of pages and the amount of footnotes (which I always appreciate).
Details:
Author(s): Michael Baumgartl
Publisher: Self publisher
Pages: 1.032
Language: GERMAN
Edition: 1
Year of publication: 2022
Dimensions: 30 x 21,5 cm
Binding: Hardcover
Weight: 3.00 kg

Question to those who had a chance to take a closer look at the book: are the Werknummer blocks discussed? If yes, do they cover the G version as well, including those built outside Germany?

Looking forward to buying it, even if my German language reading proficiency is medium, at best.
Old 30th June 2022, 11:59
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Das Jagdflugzeug Messerschmitt Bf 109. Technik / Eigenschaften / Leistung / Stückzahlen / Bewährung.

Are sample pages viewable somewhere?
Old 30th June 2022, 16:53

pvanroy is on a distinguished road

I have just received the book, and have only started to digest it. However, I must say that from my first impression, I'm extremely impressed. Everything appears to be exceptionally thoroughly researched with extremely detailed references to original documentation, and discussion of pretty much every previously published book on the Bf 109. As far as the technical development and characteristics of the Bf 109 are concerned, this book really seems to be it, and I don't see it being eclipsed anytime soon (if ever). Being primarily a technical resource, mostly concerned with engineering and performance, it could have done with some more original engineering drawings and performance graphs, but since the book is self-published, I assume the fairly limited amount of figures may be due to financial considerations.

Regarding W.Nr blocks: the book has a very extensive discussion of production numbers, per producer, per subtype, and per year, including foreign-built aircraft. However, unfortunately, a discussion of W.Nr. blocks associated with each production ring appears to be missing.

One thing that is interesting is that the author does not seem to be aware of the photograph of Erla-built Bf 109 K-4/R6 W.Nr 570 375, or the unfinished Erla K-4 fuselages dumped outside the station in Plauen at the end of the war, stating instead that only one Erla K-4 was produced in February 1945 (W.Nr. 570 362). This is somewhat surprising, given that the image of 570 375 has been available online for about a decade now, and the image of the unfinished fuselages near Plauen was fist published back in 1973 in Hitchcock's 'O-Nine Gallery'.

Notwithstanding these minor niggles, this book really appears to be the best and most complete reference on the technical aspects of the Messerschmitt Bf 109 by a large measure. It's a must for any Bf 109 fanatic, and if you have an interest in technical matters, you surely won't be disappointed!
Old 30th June 2022, 17:19

richdlc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisM View Post
Richard,
no contact details but if you search for Michael Baumgartl with Frankfurt you will come across his Kanzlei through which he can probably be contacted.

Regards,
Francis
thanks!
Old 16th July 2022, 17:55
Alter Hase

https://www.luftwaffe-research-group...t-bf109.27088/

Even more reasons for an English edition.
Old 16th July 2022, 19:10

richdlc will become famous soon enough

I tried contacting the author, but got nowhere unfortunately
Old 16th July 2022, 20:32
Alter Hase

Contact not received by him or he didn't respond?
Old 21st July 2022, 18:23

Kurfürst

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwarze-man View Post
With a price of about £100 inc post and tax, this could still be a good book. Despite the breadth of Bf 109 publications there is still room for more! If anyone gets a copy, I would appreciate a review please.

SM
My brief review.

It is the best technical book on the 109. It's basically the 109 equivalent of Morgan and Shacklady's Spitfire book, except for the fancy photos and listing of individual serial numbers. Lots of very fresh, never published information, and very few 'holes' where the story is not complete.

The book is extremely cheap for a 100, it is self published, and essentially endless pages of pure, raw, boring information you mostly never seen before, with about 1/3 of each page with through references and quotes.

Paper quality is OK, as if you would print a book on a home printer on standard A4 pages, but its hard cover. Extra points for the two oldschool but very useful 'page markers' (small strips of cloth).

It's a no-nonsense, througly researched and referenced technical book down to the smallest development and issue-solving detail that may be of interest, with every single statement well researched, conclusions very conservatively made instead of being 'dreamed up'.

If you are interested in the smallest technical detail, and don't care about nice photos or unit histories, because it doesn't have any. Those are well covered by well known books. There is no real need for another one of those.

Get it while you still can.
Old 21st July 2022, 19:47
Alter Hase

Based on the samples I have seen, the page count is slightly misleading since by tighter layout the page count could be reduced considerably. It seems that the author/publisher did not have access/to proper design software, so the design looks like a school paper done on Word.

The above is intented to emphasise that the translation cost would not be as high as 1000 + pages would initially suggest. And the applies to paper costs.
Old 21st July 2022, 20:12
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

Jukka, this is a self-published book; I understood the author paid the full cost. If so, it's his right to use the font size/type and layout he wanted. To me, the text and photos are primordial, not the layout (even though it could be optimised, I agree).