Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 27th May 2008, 17:06

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough
Aces & Wingmen - Danny Morris

..simple question for 8th AF enthusiasts who might have this work...was it ever reprinted..and is it worth investing in..?
How does vol II differ....?

thanks in advance

Neil

Last edited by FalkeEins; 27th May 2008 at 23:41.
Old 27th May 2008, 23:12
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough
Re: Aces & Wingmen - Danny Morris

I have 2 different 'Aces & Wingman II', Vol.1 and Vol.2. Both are excellent. If there was a 'A&W I', I've never seen it or don't know anyone who has it.
Old 27th May 2008, 23:37

...thanks Jim ...I didn't even realise there was a Vol 2 of of A+W II ...!! I had the same problem searching for Hamel's books....specifically 'Aces over Germany' Vol II, when there wasn't a Vol I ...(it was just the first volume of the Aces Speak series ...doh!!)
...I was referring to this book, which is currently on Ebay ..first published 1972 ...

Old 28th May 2008, 04:47

fsbofk is on a distinguished road

Morris' "Aces & Wingman" (not originally called Vol 1, for the same reason WWI wasn't originally called that !) is one of the good ones. Published in 1972 (not aware of a later version), it has a very good collection of b/w photos, most of which I haven't seen elsewhere. It also has first-person accounts from "second-stringers" who weren't usually (at least back in 1972) featured in works like this. There are the usual listings of pilot accomplishments, aces, codes, etc., and 32 pages of color profiles that aren't quite up to today's aviation art standards. However, the photos make this book worth having, IMHO (I'll never part with mine - over the past 20+ years, I've collected about 3 dozen autographs in the book).
Old 28th May 2008, 11:34

..Thanks for that, very helpful......
Old 28th May 2008, 15:34
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

The first edition of Aces and Wingmen was written and edited by Danny Morris in 1972, and published by Neville Spearman. The second edition was published in two volumes, by Aviation Usk, edited by Tom Frisque. The first volume was written by Danny Morris, and published in 1989. The second volume was written by Bill Hess, and published in 1999. The covers of both volumes of the second edition are similar, and a copy of volume 2 can be seen on Bud Anderson's website at http://www.cebudanderson.com/budrrl.htm

Frank.
Old 28th May 2008, 21:17

Thanks Frank - located both via Amazon resellers. Assuming there is some overlap with the original 1972 book I'll forget this...

..I note that Vol 2 of 'Aces...II' was apparently not authored by Morris - William Hess' name appears on the jacket - a story there no doubt..

Last edited by FalkeEins; 30th May 2008 at 19:11.