Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 24th February 2014, 20:03
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road
Re: Lübeck 1945 - 262s, 190s, 88s and Others

Simon, I think you are right.
They might be yellow bottom on cowling on that Ju 88 G-6. But only on nearer aircraft, and not on cooler ring : so could be salvaged parts from other Jumo 213 power-egg (such as the Ju 88 S-3 or Ju 188 D-2) and not having been repainted. Thinking this further, it might be trainer, flown in daylight/dusk hours and needing Yellow i.d. colour (but this was standard in MTO/South of France before).

Regards
Ed
Old 7th July 2014, 03:44

Vince Malfara is on a distinguished road

Thank you Ian for posting these wonderful photos.

Of particular interest is the port side photo of Yellow 17. I hadn't noticed until recently that the WNr is partially visible. The first three digits are "500". I have used the only photo software programs I have available (Adobe Lightroom, Picassa, Noise Ninja) and have only been able to make another two digits more visible through enlargement. It seems like there are another two zeros "00" in the WNr. I have tried to send Ian a PM to see if he could look at the original under magnification but as of yet I have not had a reply.

I was hoping maybe someone in this forum would have better software or skills and may be able to shed light on the other digits.

Kind Regards

Vince...
Old 8th July 2014, 10:29
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road

Hi Vince,

"Gelbe 17" was W.Nr.500210; but effectively one W.Nr.500200 which was "Black X".
Both in Fassberg though ...
Old 8th July 2014, 11:50

waldo_pepper is on a distinguished road

Great photos!
Thanks for sharing.
cheers
Bill.
Old 22nd March 2017, 08:20

Milos Gazdic is on a distinguished road

Chris,

I am looking at these amazing images posted by Ian and that 6+~ looks really interesting but unfortunately I am unable to spot any snake on it's fuselage

Also it's nice to notice that today we know for quite a few more Snake decorated Fw 190s... I remember the one we were discussing over on the AAW 15 years back!

Best,
Milos

PS I am going through "Fw 190" marked posts from days long gone and digging things that are interesting or have not been finished when it comes to discussion. Hope you guys do not mind that?
Old 22nd March 2017, 10:18
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road

Hi, all!

Fantastic set of photographs - the focus is really nice and these will definitely result in some interesting discussion.

I especialy liked the FW 190 with the (possibly) Red 6 and wavy bar marking also - definitely not stencilled that wavy bar.

Thanks for sharing!

Regards,
Andreas B
Old 22nd March 2017, 13:17

Milos Gazdic is on a distinguished road

Hello Andreas,

Yes that "??? 6+~" is most interesting! Pity there's no cowling out there, isn't it?
Both 6 on the fuselage & one of the wheel covers & the ~ line were applied by brush and obviously by someone who is not really great in his job.
We can assume that it belonged to IV. gruppe of it's unit.

Question I would ask - is the rudder Yellow? Because markings are quite close if not perfect match when it comes to tone. So they could be Red as proposed by you. Or Yellow too. Black or White - Not. And Blue I would also say - No (simply a gut feeling).

Best,
Miloš

Tags
fw190, ju188, ju88, lübeck, me262