Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation

Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation Please use this forum to discuss Military and Naval Aviation after the Second World War.

Old 3rd October 2012, 08:41

NickM
A ?? RE: Ed Rasimus' books

I have finished reading both of Ed Rasumus' combat memoirs over North Vietnam: When Thunder Rolled & Palace Cobra. Well I have a couple of questions RE: both of these books;

Did 'Raz' omit or alter the names of several of his less than esteemed comrades? Specifically an USAF Major who had to have transferred into flying F105s from 'trash haulers' or somewhere else...I recall his "name" was 'Burris Begley' but because of his balding, nearsighted & tactically clueless demeanor he was known as 'Mr Magoo'---and he soon ended up as a KIA after Rasimus finished his 100 missions downtown. Name real or 'changed to protect the innocent'?

And

In Palace Cobra Raz returned to North Vietnam for the Linebacker campaign flying Phantoms; he recollected an encounter one of his Wild Weasel Comrades had with a "Black SAM" that had a lot more 'game' than the SA-2 Guideline; any idea what this missile was?
And most curiously, Raz made mention of North Vietnam's HUGE Easter Offensive in 1972; He seemed to give the impression that Linebacker was just another politically motivated exercise in election year saber rattling.
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:26

drgondog is on a distinguished road
Re: A ?? RE: Ed Rasimus' books

Nick - why don't you ask him. He posts on the F-105 forum all the time as well as Military Writers

https://www.facebook.com/j.william.m...s/57289657667/

Regards,

Bill
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:58

NickM

Well I sent Raz a friend request on facebook but I don't wanna seem insulting either...we shall see.
Old 3rd October 2012, 17:10
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a book called "Vietnam Air Losses" which has details on all the USAF, USN and USMC fixed wing aircraft lost in the VIetnam war. You can probably figure out the real name of the pilot by looking at the losses for Ken's squadron during that time period.

It's quite normal to change the names of fellow aircrew, to protect the innocent and not so innocent, in many war memoirs.
Old 3rd October 2012, 23:31

drgondog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaki3152 View Post
There is a book called "Vietnam Air Losses" which has details on all the USAF, USN and USMC fixed wing aircraft lost in the VIetnam war. You can probably figure out the real name of the pilot by looking at the losses for Ken's squadron during that time period.

It's quite normal to change the names of fellow aircrew, to protect the innocent and not so innocent, in many war memoirs.
That is a good book - it formed the foundation of my Vietnam 355th loss list and Howard Plunkett added the final touches.