Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Obituaries

Obituaries Please use this forum to post obituary listings and death notices.

Old 4th September 2008, 00:10

Mark Copeland is on a distinguished road
Colonel Donald James Matthew Blakeslee - September 11, 1917 - September 3, 2008 - The Greatest American Fighter Pilot Has Passed Away

Hello All,

It is with a very heavy heart that I inform you all of the passing of Colonel Donald J.M. Blakeslee - Commander of the Fourth Fighter Group.

He was without question, the greatest American Fighter Pilot...ever.

No other pilot in the history of the USAF ever flew more combat time than Colonel Blakeslee. During his tenure with the RCAF and the USAF has massed enough hours to complete six tours of duty in WWII.

On a personal note, he was also one of the greatest friends I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. He was my friend, my mentor...my hero.

Mark Copeland
President - 8th Air Force Historical Society
Associate Member - Fourth Fighter Group Association
Old 4th September 2008, 21:17

David P. Williams is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Colonel Donald James Matthew Blakeslee - September 11, 1917 - September 3, 2008 - The Greatest American Fighter Pilot Has Passed Away

Hi Buddy,

Have just logged on to the thread. Am saddened, indeed gutted, at the loss of this great man. Not only was he a legend but he was also what this world is in short supply of, a role model and a hero!

I know he was a close personal friend and mentor, a well as a friend to Monica and Emily. I was extremely grateful to him for the personalised photograph he sent me, and which now hangs proudly on my study wall.

My condolensces to his daughter, family and friends.

The World is a poorer place today for his loss!

David.
Old 6th September 2008, 21:49

kb
Re: Colonel Donald James Matthew Blakeslee - September 11, 1917 - September 3, 2008 - The Greatest American Fighter Pilot Has Passed Away

RIP.

I have been surprised his obituary hasn't appeared in any of the major US papers, let alone the local paper in the town where he passed away.
Old 8th September 2008, 20:20

wagnergp2 is on a distinguished road

Hello. I am very saddened to learn also of the passing of Don Blakeslee, a true friend of mine, and one I will miss so dearly. I visited with him late last year and we had such a great time. I have not found an obituary in our paper the "Miami Herald" which would be where it would be posted. I do know that his ashes will be interred at Arlington National Cemetary sometime in October. I will try to keep all posted.

Gregg Wagner, Phd
President Florida Friends of the American Fighter Aces Assoc.
Old 10th September 2008, 00:53

MPFaley is on a distinguished road

KB,
It is unfortunate how soon the American media and public forget the courage, sacrifice and contribution all these fine men made to America. Don Blakeslee was in a class all his own with few peers. He will be missed by those that know the price of freedom and the courage it took too defend it at 30,000 feet.

Michael P. Faley
100th Bomb Group Historian
13th Combat Wing Historian
Old 11th September 2008, 03:05

Eagle0025

I too am very surprised to find very little on the passing of Colonel Don. There is a brief blurb at SunSentinel.com that simply states "Blakeslee, Col. Donald J, 90, of Miami, FL passed away on September 3, 2008. Neptune Society Cremation. Published in the Sun-Sentinel on 9/5/2008"
What an understatement! We are losing these great guys at an ever increasing clip. Several of my very good friends from the 474th FG took their "last flights" just within the past two months. Please keep us informed on this forum if anything else is found.

Regards, Gary Koch
474th FG Historian
Old 11th September 2008, 04:52

Mark Copeland is on a distinguished road

Hello All!!

I can tell you that their will be no published obituary in any newspaper,
namely the MIAMI HERALD. It was his wish not to "public announce" his passing in the paper. It just wasn't his style. Colonel Blakeslee was a very private individual and basically kept to himself due to his very modest character.

I was very close to Colonel Blakeslee for over 15 years and I knew him quite well. He was like my second father. He protected his honor and intergrity more than anyone I have ever known.

I can assure you that his wishes are being honored here gentlemen.

Mark Copeland
National President - Eighth Air Force Historical Society
Associate Member - Fourth Fighter Group
Old 1st October 2008, 00:58

Baby Boy is on a distinguished road

I was very saddened to hear of the passing of the "Colonel". My Father, Cecil Manning flew with him and under his command. He always spoke very highly of him.
Old 1st October 2008, 17:40

aaatripp is on a distinguished road

Yes, saddened at the loss, however the light of his spirit lives on in those of us that he touched.

I called him about a year ago to inquire about the story of the first P-51 mission in the ETO, flown by the 354FG and led by Col. Blakeslee on 1 Dec 43. He was most generous with his time, and full of fascinating stories---he truly loved it!

I'm sure that Mark Copeland and others in the 8AF & 4FG organizations are working hard to preserve the legacy of Col. Blakeslee and those other heroes. It is vital that we visit with these heroes and collect their oral histories before they make their "final flight."

Tripp
Old 31st October 2008, 18:34

abiallan is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Colonel Donald James Matthew Blakeslee - September 11, 1917 - September 3, 2008 - The Greatest American Fighter Pilot Has Passed Away

do u got ny pics???