Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Obituaries

Obituaries Please use this forum to post obituary listings and death notices.

Old 11th May 2019, 23:08

Rabe Anton
Re: James V. Crow

I am a little hesitant to write in this space concerning the passing of Jim Crow because others have set down their feelings so well. These sentiments speak for themslves. Nonetheless, I feel a need to add a few words of remembrance and appreciation from my own narrow perspective.

First, I really knew little about Jim Crow the private person. I know that he was a veteran with service in Europe, where he had acquired a German wife (Erika, who predeceased Jim by some five or six years). Returning to private life, he devoted himself to two things: serving veterans and to collecting Luftwaffe photographs. The two activities interacted, for Jim got many contacts through assisting veterans and their estates. Learning about an interesting photo collection or album, he usually managed to have the images copied and incorporated into his archive.

I do know that Jim was a devoted American patriot, faithful to the ideals of the U.S. military and to responsible citizenship. I also know that Jim had amassed an immense collection of Luftwaffe image material; by the time of his death I believe his holdings had reached beyond 10,000 items.

As a citizen, Jim was a true American conservative as contrasted with the European idea of conservative politics and issues. Of Jim's religious affiliation and activity, I never knew anything.

I suppose that I first heard of Jim Crow at least some 40 years ago. I must have first met him in person in the 1980s, almost certainly at an IPMS convention, possibly at Colomubus or at Atlanta. At such conventions Jim was a people-magnet, always offering something interesting to know and fellowship for supper. From first meeting forward, we were in touch periodically about points of connection in our Luftwaffe interests. I remember vividly that over the years, Jim must have written to me a dozen or fifteen times for help in identifying his new acquisitions. The research involved was always pleasurable if not always completely fulfilled. Jim's letters were invariably written in hand on the back of photocopies of photos in question—I think Jim did not type, and as the 1990s matured, he eschewed the computer and everything that went with it. The latter propensity in an age of e-mail inevitably limited us to old-fashioned correspondence.

Reflecting back across decades of friendship, today I am profoundly saddened by the loss of a genuine friend. But there is also the greater loss to our community. Jim Crow was, if anything, a perfectly unique and utterly irreplaceable asset to the interests we have and the things we do. Jim was smart enough to know his limits. He was never afraid to ask someone if he had questions about one of his images; he never ever pretended to have any of the diverse area skills or specialized knowledge that might be found in such as the TOCH.

Jim Crow, today is a sad day for me and for our little community. May light perpetual shine on you as you join Erika and those other saints you loved in this life.
Old 12th May 2019, 21:48

Simon Schatz is an unknown quantity at this point

This are really sad news! I have been in contact with him for a year, and although he didn't know me, he was so kind to share a lot of photographs with me! Very helpful and kind man.
Hopefully his photo archive will not be torn to pieces and kept accessible in any form whatsoever.
Jim, rest in peace
Old 13th May 2019, 04:37

Mark VIII is on a distinguished road

James V. Crow will be missed much more than people in the Luftwaffe history community could know. Since the early 1960's James collected WWII Luftwaffe aircraft photos from German veterans and survivors while stationed in Germany. And it seems every day since. It is possible in the last thirty years James has more photographs in Luftwaffe books of merit than the Bundesarkive!
No one could appreciate the contribution James made to keeping the WWII Luftwaffe aircraft history flame alive, and accurate than the few who knew him best. I spent one day helping him track down homes of veterans on the East coat to convince the veterans to allow him to purchase originals, or copy the original aircraft photographs. The amount of time and money he spent attempting to obtain originals or copies of these photographs is incalculable! James V. Crow's contribution to WWII Luftwaffe history will not be fully appreciated for a while if ever. For people who published books with James' photographs, only they could appreciate the encouragement and help he provided to making that successful.
James was a friend and was a stable and good person. He will be missed and his legacy will be well understood by me.