Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 3rd April 2005, 21:14

k-pp
I 61 - American?

Writing from Schatalowka on 28.9.41, my grandfather wrote that three Russian fighters attacked the airport. He describes them as "schwere russ. Ja[e]ger vom Typ I 61 (amerik. Baumuster)".

I get the impression after a quick search in webland, that the I 61 was the precursor to the MiG-1 and built by the Russians.

Does anyone know what plane my grandfather was thinking of? Was he incorrect by saying the I 61 was built by the Americans? Or is he thinking of a different plane?

If it helps, all three fighters were shot down, and my grandfather comments that a 2cm shell from one of the light Flak guns penetrated the engine of one plane through 4mm of armour. It was also carrying a bomb.

Many thanks.
Karl
Old 3rd April 2005, 21:40

Andy Fletcher
Re: I 61 - American?

Hi Karl,

You are correct, I-61 is an alternate designation for the MiG-1.

I believe the Germans also incorrectly used the designation I-18 for the MiG-1 and MiG-3.

I've no idea what the American link could be as the MiG-1 was designed and built by the Mikoyan Gurevich design bureau, definately Russian (Soviet).

Andy Fletcher
Old 3rd April 2005, 22:18
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

The I-16 was sometimes erroneously called Curtiss fighter, just like the SB was sometimes called Martin bomber, it could be that the new I-61 (MiG 1/3) was also attributed to a foreign firm?

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 3rd April 2005, 22:22

k-pp

Thanks for the prompt replies!
Old 3rd April 2005, 22:24

Christer Bergström is on a distinguished road

These aircraft probably were MiG-3s. The name of the place is Shatalovo in English transcription, although the Germans called it Schatalowka.

With which unit did your father serve?

Christer Bergström

http://www.bergstrombooks.elknet.pl/
Old 3rd April 2005, 23:27

Boandlgramer is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: I 61 - American?

in his book "mein flugbuch " by gunther rall you can read:
numbers of victorys.

his 10th victory ( date 11.august 1941 O Kanew) MIG -3
his 26th victory ( date 23.october 1941 S Alexandrowka ) I-61
but probable most of the time they had not really a glue what they shot down. at least not in my opinion )

in the year 1940 the soviets have called the mig 1 = I-200 ( according to Sobolew ) I 26 = yak 1 / I 301 = LaGG-1 .
later they called the planes after the designer/developer.
Old 4th April 2005, 00:40

k-pp

Hi Christer,

My grandfather was with a section of Flak-Transportbatterie 2./41 which was assigned to work with a 2cm Flak battery protecting the airfield. I don't know which battery this was or what Flak-Abteilung it belonged to. The only clue is that the regimental Stab reported 60 kills (+ 19 possible kills) by the end of September.

The Zugfu[e]hrer of the battery that shot down one of the planes was a Hptm. Hauser (possibly Hanser).

The Russian pilot managed to escape into a nearby wood, but was wounded in the hand - a glove was found in the cockpit with a finger in it (a bullet smashed the steering stick).

Thanks for your interest.
Old 4th April 2005, 01:07

Leon

It is MiG-1/3 I believe... Therse markings can be also found in the lists of captured Soviet planes published in "Barbarossa Victims" by T. Kopanski.
Markings I-200, I-26, I-301 were the names of prototypes of the new planes designed in 1940. At the moment of entering the production names were changed to well known MiG-1, Yak-1 and LaGG-3.
BTW - MiG -3 can have some foreign roots - it's ancesor -Project X (or K) is quite similar (in idea) to XP-37... But we may also said that Russians could decide to biuld the new plane taking after He-100.
Old 4th April 2005, 13:48

Boandlgramer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon
Markings I-200, I-26, I-301 were the names of prototypes of the new planes designed in 1940. At the moment of entering the production names were changed to well known MiG-1, Yak-1 and LaGG-3.
not just prototypes.
from an book by Dimitri Alexejwitsch Sobolev , translated in german.

""
Ein weiteres Beispiel für den deutschen Einfluss auf die sowj. Luftfahrt in den Vorkriegsjahren :
Zum Jahresende 1940 entschied das ZK der RKP(B) über die künftige Benennung neuer Kampfflugzeuge mit dem ersten Buchstaben des Namens des Hauptkonstrukteurs .
Jak 1 anstelle von I 26 , Mig 1 anstelle von I 200. etc etc.
Old 4th April 2005, 18:40

Christer Bergström is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The I-16 was sometimes erroneously called Curtiss fighter
Sorry to correct you, but it was the I-153 which sometimes erroneously was called "Curtiss".

Christer Bergström

http://www.bergstrombooks.elknet.pl/