Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th November 2010, 08:42
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough
How Allies Used Math Against German Tanks

Although the following article is about German tanks, I am wondering if anything similar was attempted in regards of German aircraft?
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/10..._rss_171643916
Old 6th November 2010, 12:19
Alter Hase

Juha is on a distinguished road
Re: How Allies Used Math Against German Tanks

Hello Dénes
they probably did. IIRC R.V. Jones, a scientific advisor of RAF, in his memoirs, at least in its old edition, tells about how they collect info from German a/c data plates and also part numbers, and tried to figure out the rate of production and of course also the factories that made the planes and the items. I read the book, IIRC, in late 70s, so I cannot be more precise

Juha
Old 11th November 2010, 22:36

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road

Hi Denes

I am 99% sure they did. The RAF did have Intellicence teaqms that did examine downed Axis aircraft. i believe the data plates were something they looked for. I like your books keep up the writing.
Old 12th November 2010, 09:45

glider1 is on a distinguished road

German intelligence teams used the same approach on the eastern front and were remarkably accurate. They were able to track the Russian production of all types of equipment and the level of lend lease. German Intelligence was probably the least effective arm of the German machine but in this area they were exceptional. There problem was that their reports were not believed
Old 13th November 2010, 09:13
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

Thanks for this very interesting info.
Did the findings of this team survive?
If yes, where can they be found? In BA-MA, or perhaps on a microfilm hold by NARA?

Thanks,
Old 18th November 2010, 21:47

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road

The books "Battle over Britian" F.K. Mason I think has some quotes from a few of these reports. I think it also states that many of them were discarded after the war and i don't think made it to the PRO.
Old 19th November 2010, 05:39
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

I have two booklets titled Tech Intel by Jeffrey D. McKaughan. These cover ground equipment, including a few unusual items. One was a circular concrete enclosure for light flak mounted on a flatcar. The diameter was ten feet.

Ed