Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 17th July 2016, 01:45
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Broken Wings: The Hungarian Air Force, 1918-45

Scheduled for 1 November.

https://www.amazon.com/Broken-Wings-...ywords=air+war

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Old 26th July 2016, 06:01

Csaba B. Stenge is on a distinguished road
Re: Broken Wings: The Hungarian Air Force, 1918-45

It sounds very interesting (I'm especially curious about the mentioned wealth of documents).

Incidentally I have a long-term project with the same title ('Broken Wings') about the fatal accidents of the RHAF (but assume it will be Hungarian only).
Old 26th July 2016, 20:42
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

Thanks, Ed, for the heads-up.
I am in touch with the Author.
I supplied a couple of photos and a few bits of information.
I am looking forward to reading the book.
Old 28th July 2016, 17:49
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

You're welcome, Dénes.

Best,
Ed
Old 12th December 2016, 08:07
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Has anyone seen/read it yet?

Disregarding books written in Hungarian (or any other non-english languages for that matter), does our experts have any verdict?

Cheers
Stig
Old 12th December 2016, 08:27
Alter Hase

Yes, I received last week my courtesy copy. Great looking hardcover book.

I started reading the chapter called Independence. The author tackles the topic from the strategic point of view, giving lots of general political/historical insights and details of the infighting surrounding the restructuring of the air force after it came out of hiding in Sept. 1938. I personally welcome this, as so far I have not read anything comprehensive on this aspect.
However, preciously few precise details on the aircraft, or units of the MKHL (Royal Hungarian Air Force) are given (in this particular chapter).*

I would note two downsides of the book: it has only very few photos, and the chapter covering the war, appropriately called War, runs only on 59 pages (out of 327 numbered pages).

In conclusion, I recommend the book to those interested in the Hungarian air force, with the above caveats. It's a welcomed addition to the very few books written in English on this obscure topic.

Note: *My book, Magyar Warrios vol. 2, currently in printing, will be complementary to this book, as I focus mostly on the tactical approach, giving as much details as possible on the motley aircraft park of the Hungarian air force, its units structure, materiel procurement and aircraft manufacturing, etc. (sorry for the shameless self-advertising).
Old 12th December 2016, 11:02
Alter Hase

Thanks Dénes

I have a few books in Hungarian, plus your own 100 year opus, Csaba's Baptism of Fire, and two other small ones (Hikoki and Squadron Signal).
A few of individual aircraft types also rest on the bookshelf.

Looks like I will buy this one after all.

To bad there is soo little on the aircraft themselves. Wish someone would do a real good one with regard to the LüH numbers/civil registrations and the final transfer to 'real' military serials instead of the block batches published so far.

Only wish Csaba would get an English publisher....

Cheers
Stig
Old 12th December 2016, 11:18
Alter Hase

Stig, the 'Hungarian Fighter Colours', vols. 1 and 2, addresses, but not fully covers, the topic you mentioned, as far as the fighters are concerned. More to come.
Old 12th December 2016, 11:53
Alter Hase

Yes I have those two (on a separate bookshelf....)

Cheers
Stig
Old 5th January 2017, 16:02

stukapilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dénes Bernád View Post
Yes, I received last week my courtesy copy. Great looking hardcover book.

I started reading the chapter called Independence. The author tackles the topic from the strategic point of view, giving lots of general political/historical insights and details of the infighting surrounding the restructuring of the air force after it came out of hiding in Sept. 1938. I personally welcome this, as so far I have not read anything comprehensive on this aspect.
However, preciously few precise details on the aircraft, or units of the MKHL (Royal Hungarian Air Force) are given (in this particular chapter).*

I would note two downsides of the book: it has only very few photos, and the chapter covering the war, appropriately called War, runs only on 59 pages (out of 327 numbered pages).

In conclusion, I recommend the book to those interested in the Hungarian air force, with the above caveats. It's a welcomed addition to the very few books written in English on this obscure topic.

Note: *My book, Magyar Warrios vol. 2, currently in printing, will be complementary to this book, as I focus mostly on the tactical approach, giving as much details as possible on the motley aircraft park of the Hungarian air force, its units structure, materiel procurement and aircraft manufacturing, etc. (sorry for the shameless self-advertising).

thanx so much, Mr. Bernád. without a single comment left on the amazon, i risked purchasing a copy and now it's en-route to my home. and your words help me to believe that it argubly worths the money i paid and ready to order your Magyar Warriors II

as an aficionado of WW2 aviation history who is always keen on those minor powers, i have all of your works on RHAF in ww2 and some other older magyar-written books. and i always wonder there're truckloads of words about the fighter force while few on bomber or recco groups. so is it possible that u'll fill them up? a further question i'd like to ask is the creamed-off 101st fighter wing. i dunno if there's a solo work about this elite unit, but any possibilities to beef up some materials or fotos and pile up to a coffee table book, like JV-44 by classic or JG-300 by eagle?

smidgen off-topic, about hungary's neighbor romania. your book "Rumanian Air Force" by squadron/signal is my enlightened material to FARR and the only introduction about this air power. i never read that "Romanian Fighter Colors" by MMP but will u meticulously drill down this topic later on? i'll be the very first buyer when it's out

best regards from shanghai