Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 29th January 2012, 20:55
georgem

Greece 22/4/41, ditched Ju87 of I/StG2

I' m looking for info about a Ju87 of (probably) I/StG2, which was ditched near Itea, after been hit by AA fire, following an attack at greek ships in Antykira bay, in 22/4/41.
The plane was visible under shallow water for many years, but was blown up later. In the 90's I was able to salvage small parts of the plane, mainly the (badly corroded) rudermaschine.
I was told that both crewmembers perished following the ditching.
Could anyone provide the names/ranks of the crewmembers?
Thanks
Old 29th January 2012, 21:18
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough
Re: Greece 22/4/41, ditched Ju87 of I/StG2

I only have 1 Stuka loss for the Med/Aegean for that day. Note that the losses for Stukas in Apr/May-41 in the Med/Aegean as reported by the Gen. Qu. losses appear to be somewhat sketchy. There are at least 3 known losses that GRM & I have found, 2 via photos and 1 a text reference that aren't listed in the Gen.Qu. records. All were machines of eventual RK winners. The 2 from photos show pretty significant Flak damage, though both machines & crews appear to have returned to their base safely. The 3rd is from an account of a crew having been shot down and paddling around in a life raft for a day or two before being rescued. That they were never reported missing or the machine as a 100% loss is a mystery. Offhand, I don't remember any of the crew names.

Here's the loss I do have:
Ju 87B-1, 5596, Wilde, Oblt. Hans, , III., 8., St.G. 77, rote A, F1+AN, , , 22-Apr-41, Stkp. Crew MIA after Notlandung., , Lfl.4/Griechenland, Gen.Qu.6.Abt. (mfm #3)-Vol.4; Price, The Luftwaffe 1933-1945, V.1, photo #47, , (Eleusis), 100%, F, Bf Uffz. Walter Schubert, ,
Old 11th September 2013, 22:16
georgem

Jim, although with a lot of delay, due to personal reasons keeping me away from the forum, thanks a lot for the info.
It seems that the crew paddling around that day, should have been of the Stuka in question.
Old 31st August 2014, 21:26
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Jim

Did the crew names surfaced, if couldnt do anymore ??

Rémi