Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 7th November 2006, 21:42
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road
Strange story

I found this on the Internet, whiel searching something else for the date of the 25th of October 1944:

Shortly after take off from a base England, the pilot of the 486th BG, B-17 "Deepseat - Baker" was informed that a ground man, a Corporal, had stowed away on board. The pilot radioed the Air Leader for advice and was told to continue the emission as there was flight clothing aboard and an oxygen mask in the bomber. The Corporal was originally in a distressed state but appeared to settle down in the rear fuselage.
When the bomber had reached 19,000 feet on its way to the target, and while the waist gunner was looking out his window, the stowaway suddenly released the side door and jumped out. He was not wearing a parachute.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andrew.etherington/1944/10/25.htm

A quick check showed that the 486th BG lost no AC this day, but has a MIA. The ABMC site has the Cpl Donald K. Flaherty (service number 39276081) of 834th Bomber Squadron, 486th Bomber Group, Heavy, listed as MIA this day and commemorated on Cambridge Wall of Missing, without Purple Heart (meaning it wasn't lost due to the enemy).

So my guess is that he was the suicidal guy, but I would like to have confirmation, or more details about this affair.

Thanks in advance

Laurent
Old 8th November 2006, 00:26

shooshoobaby is on a distinguished road
Re: Strange story

Laurent , Bits and Pieces 8thAF Roll of Honor Lists Cpl. Donald K. Flaherty
from California as KIA Oct. 25 ,44 486th BG. No other info.
Mike
Old 8th November 2006, 11:11

robert_schulte is an unknown quantity at this point

I have also heard about this story, however can't recall where. I remember it was said, that his girlfriend wanted to leave him.

Robert
Old 8th November 2006, 17:37

Jon

On a different story but same thread.
I think a Luftwaffe Nightfighter shot down on or near RAF Scampton is supposed to have been carrying a stowed away ground crewman?
When the wreck was investigated by the RAF an extra "man in black" was found amongst the dead crew, i think he is still buried in Scampton churchyard with other Luftwaffe and RAF crewmen.
I do not know if he had stowed away or was a Luftwaffe groundcrewman taken on a mission to see what it was all about?
Any ideas?
Old 10th November 2006, 01:35

shooshoobaby is on a distinguished road

Laurent - from 486th History Book. Flaherty jumped on plane with Carbine and Ammo Belt. Said he wanted to go fight the Germans. Bunkmates report he said same the night before. Jumped from A/c over North Sea.
Mike