Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 15th February 2017, 16:53
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: One for the scholars!!

Quote:
I have it on very good authority of multiple Classicists that one cannot usually translate Latin into English without losing some of the original sense and logic of the text, more so than with translation from modern European languages.
(Heading blithely off-topic …) But how can they tell that if, fundamentally, they are thinking in English — interesting problem of logic there!

Quote:
Good knowledge of Latin phrases is one sign of superior learning
Sorry but I just see it as evidence of knowing something, there is no rational basis for privileging this particular corner of knowledge above (say) materials science, plant biology, or indeed aerial warfare 1939–45.
Old 15th February 2017, 17:35
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Wow!

This is way above my head - I'm just a simple country bumpkin! But it's a great discussion!

Bruce - yes, the file you sent me in October. It's gorn!
Is it OK with ADM234/369?

Cheers
Brian

Last edited by Brian; 15th February 2017 at 20:27.
Old 15th February 2017, 17:58

Bruce Dennis is on a distinguished road

Hello Brian,
I will re-upload the October files and send a new link. The file was deleted by me to make space in my online storage, it never occured to me that you had not downloaded it to your own computer.
I will have a look at the new ADM file and email you off-forum.
(small Americano, black, no sugar)

Regards,
Bruce
Old 16th February 2017, 15:57
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Definitely "Sursum in pugnam" which is "Up! and into the fight"
Old 16th February 2017, 23:19

Paul Thompson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
(Heading blithely off-topic …) But how can they tell that if, fundamentally, they are thinking in English — interesting problem of logic there!

Sorry but I just see it as evidence of knowing something, there is no rational basis for privileging this particular corner of knowledge above (say) materials science, plant biology, or indeed aerial warfare 1939–45.
Some of them are thinking in German and French, Nick I think we should sympathise with their predicament, translating from English to German and the reverse poses problems of logic too, even though it is perhaps easier than the Latin!

I would vouch for the importance of all three field of knowledge that you mentioned. Nevertheless, "Classical education" in its late nineteenth century sense, with the sciences included, was in many ways superior to its modern equivalent. I imagine you don't object to Latin too much, if you still remember it

Warm regards,

Paul
Old 16th February 2017, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
Definitely "Sursum in pugnam" which is "Up! and into the fight"
Thank you, Chris. Is there a full list of these?
Old 16th February 2017, 23:59
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Thompson View Post
Some of them are thinking in German and French, Nick I think we should sympathise with their predicament, translating from English to German and the reverse poses problems of logic too, even though it is perhaps easier than the Latin!

I would vouch for the importance of all three field of knowledge that you mentioned. Nevertheless, "Classical education" in its late nineteenth century sense, with the sciences included, was in many ways superior to its modern equivalent. I imagine you don't object to Latin too much, if you still remember it

Warm regards,

Paul
(a) IMO German has just as much unnecessary grammar as Latin (why on earth would anyone need genders for nouns — we manage without!) and I seem to remember that in Latin it doesn't matter what order you put the words in whereas German is rather picky about that.

(b) For me doing Latin was an almost complete waste of time but it was an Oxbridge entry requirement back then and that's what we were supposed to aspire to. Not much call for it in researching WW2, so I never used it and can't remember much. Glad I did German, though!
Old 17th February 2017, 17:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
(a) IMO German has just as much unnecessary grammar as Latin

(b) For me doing Latin was an almost complete waste of time but it was an Oxbridge entry requirement back then
a) I agree to a degree, but I dropped Latin after a month and kept going with German, so there must be something to it

b) Ah, Oxbridge and the odd things which go with it. Having been there, I can certify that very few of them know a word of Latin, although it may have been different in your day.

Warm regards,

Paul
Old 17th February 2017, 18:05
Super Moderator

[quote=Paul Thompson;229808Ah, Oxbridge and the odd things which go with it. Having been there, I can certify that very few of them know a word of Latin, although it may have been different in your day.

Warm regards,

Paul[/QUOTE]

I made damn sure I didn't find out what Oxbridge was like in my day, anything my school wanted was not going to be my scene.

And that's enough off-topic, I think!