Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 19th August 2007, 09:03

Andy F-P
Georg-Peter Eder 6/JG26 claims 17 August 1944

Hello,
I am trying to research Georg-Peter Eder's claims for two Spitfires and three Sherman tanks on 17 August 1944. Eder took off with 6/JG26 as the Staffelkapitaen to attack an allied armour collection around Dreux/Chartres at about 11:30.

At about 11:50 he spotted the armour collection and was about to attack when he saw a Spitfire at very low level. He managed to shoot the Spitfire down and this crashed between two Sherman tanks destroying them both. He then spotted another low flying Spitfire and shot this down and it also crashed on a Sherman tank destroying it! Two Spitfires and three Sherman tanks in a minute, quite a feat!

In his JG26 War Diaries, Donald Caldwell explains this occurence but says that no Spitfires or any other allied aircraft could be identified as having been lost in this region.

Both aerial witnesses were killed in combat the next day. I believe, Eder was known as a trustworthy claimer and a man of immpeccable character. Can anyone help me identify these Spitifres or add anything to these events?
Thank you for your time.
Regards,
Andy
Old 19th August 2007, 09:57
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Georg-Peter Eder 6/JG26 claims 17 August 1944

His abschussmeldung dated 21 Aug 44 is quite specific but nothing matches RAF-wise
Old 19th August 2007, 10:21

Andy F-P

Hello Chris,
Thanks for the reply.

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. Have you seen his Abschussmeldung for this event? Something does not add up here. He was new to 6/JG26. Do you think he made it up to impress his new unit? This does not sound like Eder's style. Any ideas?
Best regards,
Andy
Old 19th August 2007, 10:44
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Andy: I have a copy of the full report and I cannot comment on your supposition
Old 19th August 2007, 14:21
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

How about Americans? Otherwise, what does it mean, 'does not sound like Eder's style'?
Old 19th August 2007, 21:35

Andy F-P

Hello,
Franek - If all I read about Eder is correct, he was an officer of impeccable credentials and not the kind of man to fabricate such a feat. What I am concerned about is no records can be found for two Spitfires losses in this area, at this time, on this day. I imagine these Spitfires would have been from the same unit. Eder was an extremely experienced pilot and had fought against the RAF and USAF for a long time. He would have known a Spitfire if he saw one.

Please correct me if I am wrong but if these Spitfires went down, there should be evidence of them in the records. The two aircraft were only about 10m off the ground when Eder shot them down, the pilots would have had no chance of recovery. The two aerial witnesses where both KIA the next day. I know one of the Panzervernichtungsmeldung was not completed until 21st August 1944 so Fhj-Fw Wolfgang Roehler's evidence record of this event could not be signed by him and was 'agreed in draft'.

Chris - Do you still have a copy of the complete Abschussmeldung? Would you be able to let me have a copy please?

Why can't we find these Spitfires?
Best regards and looking forward to being shot down myself!
Andy

Last edited by Andy F-P; 19th August 2007 at 21:38. Reason: grammar
Old 19th August 2007, 21:48

necker is on a distinguished road

Hello Andy,

Please give me an email, I might provide you the whole story.

Best,
Erich
misiol@home.nl
Old 19th August 2007, 21:50

necker is on a distinguished road

I see I was to quick with my respond. I have a copy of his battle report, but I see another member has also a copy, so you have already this information.

Best,
Erich