Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 25th September 2011, 00:54

vinnie is on a distinguished road
Re: Alfred Miksch' black 5, 13 and 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beaman View Post
Earlier in this thread when listing loss records for these aircraft, I posted that Dr. Prien beleived that 20 had been repainted as 5. This was incorrect. They are not the same aircraft. This was due to a faulty translation.

It is possible that the rudder from 20 made its way onto 5.
Could be true, I don't know... The rudder has to be the same, and I also thought that there were similarities when looking at the wing and tail camouflage patterns of black 5 and 20. However, there are no signs on the fuselage of black 20 that show a previous '5'.
I think that the pictures of the men painting on the rudder (on which you can see the WerkNr. '15429') and the picture Martin just added are both of black 5 Werknummer 15429. The picture of Miksch standing in front of (the rear of) black 20 could be another plane, since there is no Werknummer readable on the tail. This would prove the theory, although I still tend to believe that the camouflage on the tail is exactly the same as on black 5 15429, so that black 5 was indeed repainted as 20.
Old 25th September 2011, 09:46

mdejong is on a distinguished road

For me it is sure that the tail is from Black "20", the same as the picture where Miksch is standing in front of. The camo pattern is identical.

Martin

Old 25th September 2011, 12:11

vinnie is on a distinguished road

I agree, Martin. Here is the picture of black 5. I added the camouflage spots that you highlighted (in the same colours you used). I also marked the similarities I could find in the camouflage of black 5 and 20. For me, 15429 was black 5 and after that repainted as black 20.
Old 25th September 2011, 20:50

mdejong is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdejong View Post
This picture is shown in magazine "Der Adler" dated from 14. September 1943.