Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 8th December 2010, 17:34

Filmmaker is on a distinguished road
making a Documentary about Falmouth bombing, Help!

Hi all,

I'm making a film documenting the experience of the people of Falmouth, Cornwall during the air raids on the town throughout WW2.

Would I be right in saying that the raid on Falmouth on May 30th 1944 was the last raid on the UK? I believe I read that somewhere on this forum.

Could anyone point me in the direction of some useful sources of information?

Any personal stories welcome

particularly interested in learning a bit more about Phillip Lee Bishop

Thanks for any help
Old 8th December 2010, 19:03
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road
Re: making a Documentary about Falmouth bombing, Help!

As I recall there was a booklet about Falmouth at War produced a few years ago should be a copy in the local library.
Old 13th December 2010, 13:56

Bombphoon is on a distinguished road

Fraid not. Last bombs to fall on the mainland was 20th March 1945.
Old 13th December 2010, 16:04

Thanks, where did this raid take place? I'm struggling to find reliable sources when it comes to air raid statistics, just wondering if you could point me in the direction of any sources?
Old 13th December 2010, 17:47
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road

If you are talking about statistics for the May 30th raid there is a Home Office Key points damage report at the Public Records Office. At the Falmouth Library there was a book describing the raid and I have an extract from a booklet describing the bombing of the Swanvale oil depot and the demolishing of the Pentargon Hotel. If these are of any interest PM me,

Regards

Brian Bines
Old 13th December 2010, 20:10
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

There was a display about the raid (mainly photos IIRC) at the Pendennis Castle museum when I visited a couple of years ago.

The Falmouth raid wasn't the last attack on England but it was the last in the "Operation Steinbock" series, when the targets switched to ports where the Invasion forces were assembling. 104 bombers raided Portsmouth on 22/23 May 1944, losing ten. Five nights later, a smaller operation was mounted against Weymouth and to mine the adjacent waters; on the 28/29th a similar attack was made against Torquay while the next night’s target was Falmouth with a diversionary assault on Portsmouth.

Ulf Balke, "Der Luftkrieg in Europa, die Operativen Einsätze des Kampfgeschwaders 2 im zweiten Weltkrieg: Teil 2)" (Bernard & Graefe Verlag, Koblenz, Germany, 1990) ISBN 3-7637-5884-4 says that 51 aircraft were dispatched; 30 bombed Falmouth with just under 30 metric tons of bombs; 2 bombed St Austell (secondary target); the rest sowed BM 1000 sea mines off the port. Damage was done at Silley, Cox & Co.; in the docks; and the oil installation, where tanks No. 28 & 31 were burned out.

Last edited by Nick Beale; 14th December 2010 at 10:04. Reason: typo
Old 14th December 2010, 22:55

thanks everyone for your help! you've helped put me on the right track.
Old 15th December 2010, 00:06
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road

Dear Filmmaker,

The Blitz Then and Now, Volume 3 by After the Battle Publications, says that the Falmouth raid was carried out by ten Ju 88 aircraft from 5/KG6 and one off these failed to return.

5/KG6 actually had a mix of Ju88A-14 and Ju188E at this time so I'm not sure if it was just Ju88's that raided Falmouth or a mix of both
Old 15th December 2010, 16:52
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

The attack was carried out by around 50 ac from KG 2 and I & II/KG 6. I have an account, in German, from a radio operator from 3/KG 6. There was one loss, a Ju 88 A-4 from 5/KG 6, which crashed 20 kms south of the Isle of Wight. This was probably the He 111 claimed by a Mosquito of 151 Sqn-I have an account from the nav/rad of this aircraft
Old 17th December 2010, 02:33
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

Hello Filmmaker,
I sent you a PM
Alex

Tags
falmouth, film, last bombs, ww2