Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th June 2007, 14:57

ChrisM is on a distinguished road
Burchard Flakowski

I am wondering if anyone has information about the subsequent history of a Luftwaffe pilot, Burchard Flakowski, described in November 1940, as a "Captain" and "commander of a bomber group". He participated in air raids over Norway and England and was awarded the Iron Cross First Class.

Thanks

Chris
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:30

Re: Burchard Flakowski

The only Luftwaffe pilot bearing the unusual name of Flakowski whom I have been able to find is Uffz. Flakowski (III/JG 54), a Fw 190 pilot who died on 26th March 1945.

Because of his rank I do not think that this man can be the Burchard Flakowski whose details I am seeking.

Chris
Old 4th July 2007, 08:48
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

This would be Hptm Burchard Flakowski of II/KG 76. He was awarded the DKiG with II/KG 76 14 Feb 42 but that is all I have on him. He was alive in 1945
Old 4th July 2007, 09:49

Many thanks for that, Chris.

Hptm Flakowski - interesting name that, for a bomber pilot, "son of flak" - gave an interview to CBS in November 1940. This was transmitted to the USA by shortwave radio and was later published. It took place in occupied Paris whence he, as an English speaker, had been sent from his unit in Northern France. He had taken part in the Norwegian campaign and then in the bombing of Great Britain. The interview contains some comments on the aerial view of the destruction wreaked on Birmingham in the November attacks - which is the main reason for my interest.

When you say that he was alive in 1945, do you mean that he survived beyond May? Or is your information less specific?

Thanks again for the help - greatly appreciated.

Chris
Old 4th July 2007, 10:24
Alter Hase

All I have is he appears in the Rangliste of 1945 and being a Hptm promoted to that rank 1 Aug 39. It would appear that he had an unspectacular war, still being a Hptm in 1942 and again in 1945
Old 4th July 2007, 13:33

Thanks again, Chris

Chris
Old 12th July 2007, 18:36

Chris, sorry to come back to all this, but is there any indication in the information you hold that Flakowski was a member of KG 76 in 1939 and 1945 also?

If this is so, or even if it is not, could I try your patience and that of other forum members by throwing up some general questions and asking for opinions.
  1. Would it be unusual for a Luftwaffe officer to remain attached to one squadron throughout the war?
  2. Is it likely/probable/possible that he was flying operationally throughout the whole period? (He was thirty in 1940).
  3. If he was, what sort of odds did he beat in order to survive as bomber aircrew, if indeed he did survive?
  4. In 1940 he is described as "commander of a bomber group". He is doing this as a Hauptmann. Is it reasonable to assume that his responsibility in RAF terms would be for a flight, rather than the whole squadron or any larger formation?
  5. Is the likelihood that he was a pilot?
  6. Is his lack of progression in rank between 1939 and 1945, bearing in mind the losses around him, surprising? Does it perhaps indicate a land-based or non-operational job – training, intelligence etc. - after 1942?
Very many thanks for any opinion which may be forthcoming.

Chris
Old 12th July 2007, 22:58
Alter Hase

Chris: I am afraid I have nothing further on this chap
Old 13th July 2007, 11:08

FrankieS is on a distinguished road

Hi !
I have some more info (good old VOLKSBUND, Germany).
Burchard Flakowski, very unusual name too,
strange if there should be really two guys bearing this name ...
.................................................. ..................................
Zum Gedenken

F4718119
Nachname:Flakowski
Vorname:Burchard
D.O.B.:28.03.1910
P.O.B.:Königsberg
KIA/MIA date:08.01.1942
KIA/MIA place:UdSSR

Nach den uns vorliegenden Informationen ist die o. g. Person seit 08.01.1942 vermißt.
.................................................. ......................................
bye-bye
Old 13th July 2007, 12:28

Thanks for that, FrankieS.

This is almost certainly the man. My information is that he was 30 in 1940 and his home was East Prussia. This ties in with the Volksbund information.

Is a possible explanation of the discrepancy with the information kindly provided by Chris Goss that:
  1. The award in February 1942 would have gone ahead whatever the fate of the recipient, and
  2. If a man was missing but not definitely killed, his name would be retained on the Rangliste mentioned by Chris? (I don’t know – I am asking).
Chris