Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 10th March 2017, 17:41

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road
Re: Information about Hugo Kessler, JV44

He must have been considered a high-value POW to have been given that extraordinary treatment.
Old 11th March 2017, 17:26
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Not necessarily

In the military forces there is an Esprit de Corp called honor. Some countries /individuals have that more than others.

If you shoot down an 'enemy' who is under a treaty of negotiation, that is an incredible breach of that undefined line, and I am pretty certain many of the US 'brass' felt more for the Germans than they actually did with their own side. The only way to redeem their mistake was to do everything in their power to rectify it.

Hard to believe perhaps for someone not inspired by it. It should perhaps be likened with a civilian giving his word (promise). Some breach that very lightly, others treat it and value it more than their life....

Cheers
Stig
Old 12th March 2017, 19:22

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road

Complete nonsense. The Americans didn't give a damn about the Germans they 'liberated', and I'm speaking from family experience.
Old 13th March 2017, 00:08
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Well Vince

I am simply supplying an option.
I am not saying that was the case. I wasn't there, and presumably neither was you. Perhaps you are saying Americans don't have any honor, I don't know.
To me, American military men have honor, just like every one else.
They did wrong shoting down a negotiator and they knew it.

Could be nonsense could be be not....

Cheers
Stig
Old 13th March 2017, 00:29
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtwinVince View Post
Complete nonsense. The Americans didn't give a damn about the Germans they 'liberated', and I'm speaking from family experience.
That proves nothing about how every other prisoner was treated. I should not be surprised if there was a whole spectrum of different experiences, there were millions of people involved and people vary.
Old 13th March 2017, 10:01
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point

it's right, that is vary from pretty fair treatment to extr. hard treatment, hundred of thousand died as prisoners , some a century from the events people could hv a calm look on them,
Nd says yes lot of prisoners were treated beyond the "legal " rules, in many cases the same treatments inflicted by germans to allied prisoners drive them at war end to gallows.

This changed when the soviets became the new foe

Rémi
Old 15th March 2017, 23:51
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road

Hello, all.

For those interested I just posted the original list of flying personell ment to be the initial 45 pilots of I. Gruppe JV 44.

Most likely well known to the afficionados fortunate enough to own a copy of the JV 44 book by Robert Forsyth mentioned earlier in the thread - I have only been able to drool over it at a friends house...

http://aviationhistorynorway.blogspo...01-flying.html

Regards,
Andreas B