Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 17th March 2017, 16:20

icarus is on a distinguished road
The use of the code Amsel

I believed that the phonetic alphabet employed by the German forces used Anton to stand for A ,,, yet in a reminiscence by an English observer the pilot in a Luftwaffe plane designated himself as Amsel Eins. This duplicates the code used to describe the SS elsewhere who were known in wartime slang as the Blackbirds. I wonder if anyone on the forum can account for these ornithological codewords and why the phonetic systems seemed multifarious during the war. Thank you in anticipation of some interesting response. A new member.
Old 17th March 2017, 18:13
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: The use of the code Amsel

I think the answer is likely to be that Amsel was a unit callsign, not a phonetic letter. Just as in the RAF and USAAF, these callsigns didn't have to mean anything, they just had to be words clearly distinguishable over a radio link. In early 1944 for example, Staffeln of I./JG 2 were Trommelfell (ear drum), Mansarde (attic) and Pilatus (Pilate), their ground control was Bleistift (pencil).

Someone here may know which unit Amsel was.