Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 1st March 2011, 16:40

Yeomans is on a distinguished road
Last Flight of Ju88A-1 WkNr 8095

Following on from my earlier post “Surrey Luftwaffe Crashes”, the attached plan shows what I believe will have been the most likely course of the above aircraft prior to crashing at Folly Farm, South Holmwood on 27th September 1940.

This aircraft of 2/KG77 and coded 3Z + HK was intercepted by Hurricanes from No. 303 Squadron (Polish) and No. 1 Squadron (RCAF) when over Oxted in Surrey en route to London. It was reported as being initially hit in the starboard engine when over Esher and then in the port engine. At this point it appears to have turned due south flying over Leatherhead and on towards Dorking. The pilot, Unteroffizier Rudolf Schumann ordered the crew to bale out and the first to leave the aircraft was the radio operator Unteroffizier Wilhelm Menningmann. Unfortunately, Menningmann’s parachute harness was not properly fastened and he tragically fell to his death, his body being found in the sewage beds of the Leatherhead Sewage Works. His parachute was located nearly 5 miles furthersouth in Holmwood Park.

My plan then indicates where the other three crew members landed – they were all captured and fortunately none of them were seriously wounded. I have also indicated the final crash site and where various parts of the aircraft fell.

1 = Pilgrims Close, Westhumble where a gun and “turret” landed
2 = Bradley Farm where the second crew member landed. This could have been either Unteroffizier Hans Tenholt or Unteroffizier Albert Ackermann (it being assumed that the pilot was the last to leave the aircraft)
3 = Croft Avenue, Dorking where part of the tail landed
4 = Scammells Farm where the third crew member landed. As above, this could have been either Tenholt or Ackermann
5 = Norfolk Arms PH, Mid Holmwood where the pilot landed
6 = crash site at Folly Farm, South Holmwood

Menningmann was initially laid to rest in the cemetery of the local parish church (St Mary and St Nicholas) and whilst both of the sources quoted below suggest that he is still buried there, I am advised (see my earlier post) that he was in fact re-interred post war most probably to his home town of Dortmund which is the reason why he is not among those now at Cannock Chase.

See the following excellent sources for more information :
www.aircrewrembrancesociety.com
www.warbirdsite.com/warbirdsite_com_junkers_88.html

The above sources variously attribute the "claim" to the Canadian Gordon Roy McGregor or Pilot Officer M Ferric of No. 303 Squadron.

I would appreciate any further information on the above incident that any Forum members may have. Could sections of the rear glazing (or turret as referred to above) really be jettisoned on the Ju88 to assist emergency escape – as suggested in the Warbird article ?

Nick

Last edited by Yeomans; 1st March 2011 at 18:38. Reason: Error in source site reference
Old 1st March 2011, 17:06
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road
Re: Last Flight of Ju88A-1 WkNr 8095

There was an article on the excavation of this site in a 1970's Air Classic Magazine with photos of a Luger pistol, gravity knife and other relics recovered. The rear part of the main canopy just behind the pilot could be jettisioned to allow the crew to bale out on a Ju88 taking the M.G.(s) with it,

Regards

Brian Bines
Old 2nd March 2011, 11:00

Thanks Brian.

I don't suppose you can recall which edition of Air Classics the article appeared in ?
Regards
Nick
Old 2nd March 2011, 11:43
Alter Hase

paulmcmillan

http://www.aeroknow.com/magazines/ac.htm
Air Classics 13.5 May 77
Ju-88 wreckov n Eng PA
Old 2nd March 2011, 13:32

Thanks Paul.

Does anyone know if the engines are still at the Ottawa National War Museum and the Brooklands Museum ? I might get across to Brooklands but Ottawa is some distance from Surrey.

Nick