Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 1st May 2008, 01:24

Tony Kearns
Re: Attacks On Shipping December 1940

According to Irish Military sources, on 18 th Dec the Osage was the first to be attacked. It was 8 miles off the Arklow Light (Wicklow) at 09.00 (All Irish Times) when attacked and sunk. The crew were picked up by the Collier Crowhill and landed at Rosslare. The Condor then flew north, passing Dublin and attacked the Tweed at 09.31 when approx 40 miles east of the Rockabill Light. It then flew south and located the LMS Cambria 23 miles east of Howth (Dublin) at 10.00 hrs which it attacked and one crewman was killed and some other injuries. The Cambria continued on to Holyhead. The Condor then crossed at height over Dublin and inland on a southerly course to exit off the Waterford Coast.

The next day the Condor which attacked the Isolda was first sighted at 10.13 hrs off Howth flying south at approx 200ft. It was observed by the Look Out Posts (LOPs) passing just off the east coast as far as Hook Head, by now flying at a height of 40 ft. At 11.15 hrs it circled the Irish Vessel Lanahrone twice and as it flew low over it rocked its wings in what appears to have been a recognition that it was a neutral ship. It headed straight for the Isolda and attacked. The Coastwatchers looked on helplessly at this incident which was approx 8 miles offshore. In all incidents the aircraft were described as four engined aircraft. One coastwatcher described seeing the Condor so low that he could see a crewman looking looking at him through his field glasses!

I would very much like to identify the Condor involved in the Isolda incident.
Tony K
Old 1st May 2008, 22:22

Mark McShane is on a distinguished road
Re: Attacks On Shipping December 1940

Many thanks Tony,

I was at National Archives, Bishop street today, same info in the file I was looking at today as you give. There is a complete file on the attack on the Isolda, I didn't have time to look at it today, but will go through it next week. If there is anything mentioned about markings on aircraft (I did see some reports today where those interviewed stated markings on aircraft) I'll be sure to pass it on here.

Regards,

Mark