Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 17th January 2020, 22:35

Mikkel Plannthin
Maintenance officer for FDR's airplane

I am researching af Danish-American, Otto W. Jensen, who enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps in 1922 and rose to the rank of major during the Second World War.

According to the obituary in the News Journal (Wimlington, Delaware), 8 May 1986 he was chief maintenance officer for Frankling D. Roosevelt's presidential airplane and received a presidential commendation.

I was wondering if anyone would know of sources in the presidential airplane and its crew that might provide further information on him?

Thank you.

Mikkel
Old 18th January 2020, 15:57
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough
Re: Maintenance officer for FDR's airplane

Mikkel,

It appears that FDR flew in VC-54C "Sacred Cow" just one time, in February 1945.

Assigned pilot for that presidential airplane was Lt. Col. Henry "Hank T. Myers.

Regards,
Leendert
Old 18th January 2020, 16:02
Alter Hase

Navigator was Major T.J. Boselli, co-pilot was Major Elmer F. Smith.

Regards,
Leendert
Old 18th January 2020, 16:13
Alter Hase

Original flight crew also included engineer MSgt Fred A. Winslow and radio operator MSgt Charles A. Horton.

Regards,
Leendert
Old 18th January 2020, 19:39

Mikkel Plannthin

Leendert
Thank you, I believe that my man was ground crew, so perhaps the story is true none the less.

Mikkel
Old 18th January 2020, 23:34
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Mikkel

Even if FDR did not use the aircraft more than once (he died soon after) his Vice-President Truman who replaced him surely must have done that.

Also, regardless if FDR actually used the aircraft (or had further intentions to do so) said aircraft certainly needed maintenance anyway.

Cheers
Stig