Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 15th December 2005, 22:49

BlakeField
Hans Philipp

I just read on the internet (yes, I know - a not-so-reliable reference source) that the victor over Hans Philipp on Oct 8, 1943 was Robert S. Johnson of the 56th FG.

I read it in an interview with Johnson conducted in the mid 1990's. I am curious as to why I have never read this before, but more curious about whether or not it is true.

Can anyone point me to a solid reference on this?

As a side note, a number of years ago, perhaps in 1998 or so, I briefly corresponded with a guy in Europe who had the commemorative pistol awarded to Hans Philipp in honor of his receiving the Oak Leaves to the RK. This guy did not know who Hans Philipp was, and was asking about him on a message board. It might even have been this one. He emailed me photos of the gun. I was mighty impressed, even though I had to wonder how he came about that gun...
Old 16th December 2005, 17:23

BlakeField
Re: Hans Philipp

Anybody...?
Old 16th December 2005, 17:45
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeField
Anybody...?
First, patience. You only posted the question yesterday. This is not McDonalds.

Second, what is the internet source? How reliable is it? Aces' memories are not the most reliable source.

You might want to read this, if you've not already seen it.

http://www.jg54greenhearts.com/Philip.htm
Old 16th December 2005, 21:04

BlakeField

I apologize - I had no idea I was offending anyone.

Here is the link that I was reading:

http://www.acepilots.com/usaaf_rsj.html

It is an interview by Military History with Johnson, and the interviewer asks. "I understand that Oberstleutnant Hans Philipp, leader of JG.1, was one of your victories?" to which Johnson replies, "...I found out 50 years later that my fifth victory was Hans Philipp, a 206-victory ace from the Russian Front."

I was intrigued by this, as my reading on that subject has not been inconsiderable, yet I had heard nothing of this before.

I was just curious if anyone knew another source for this.

Thanks for the steer to the web link. I have indeed read this piece before.
Old 17th December 2005, 01:16

Don Pearson

A search here does indicate that Johnson scored on this date

http://www.maxwell.af.mil/au/afhra/

Unfortunately not much detail.

Don
Old 17th December 2005, 02:13

Klaus Schiffler

The loss list in Jochen Prien's book, Jagdgeschwader 1 und 11, indicates that Hans Phillip was killed in combat with B-17s. He was flying Fw 190A-6, Red One, W.Nr. 530 407. He was flying with his wingman, Hans-G. Reinhardt, who rammed a B-17 and had to force-land, being wounded. These two pilots were flying in a Rotte (two aircraft). Reinhardt stated that Philipp had shot down his B-17 (206th kill) but his aircraft had taken hits and then flew down into the lower layers of clouds and did not return.

Johnson's statement is that he attacked four Fw 190s and shot down the flight leader. I don't think this could be Philipps since he was flying only with his wingman. Johnson's victory could be any number of Fw 190s also lost by JG 1 and 11.

I don't know how Johnson got the idea that he shot down Philipps but it does help the ego to image one shot down a top ace rather than an ordinary fighter pilot. Perhaps Martin Caidin gave him the idea as co-author of Thunderbolt. Caidin's record speaks for itself.