Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 15th August 2015, 15:16
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough
Re: Avias B534 with 1. and 2./JG 70?

Hello Martin, it's only now that I have time too look at the original scan for the details you are looking for (the photo in the book is too dark).

I can positively confirm the bombs are still in their racks.
About the damage to the tail area, there is something that looks like ruptured fabric skin , but I am not 100% positive. Check the detail photo for yourself.

Yes, I am aware of the book on Bulgarian 'Dogans', to be published by JaPo. I can state that my colleague Jaroslav Krec (whom I helped a bit) is the best person to write such a book, as no one (including Bulgarian researchers) knows better the topic than him. I am really looking forward to reading that book!
Old 15th August 2015, 20:08

Martin V is on a distinguished road

Hello Dénes, many thanks for the ultra-rare close-up photo, fantastic. The Baptism of Fire book by Mr.C.B.Stenge describes this plane as being damaged by accurate anti-aircraft machine-gun fire(p.41), so Your picture confirmes that the bombs were still attached and
the area above the tail wheel was open. It is where the First Aid kit was located.
There could be damage there, as the opening seems to be irregular a bit. Also later photos
of this Avia indicate some irregularities in this area.
Best Regard, and Thank You.
Martin
Old 13th March 2016, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Martin,

The LKS 8 was formed in 1941 for officer training of Flak units, they did not have any aircraft. I have no proof that any LKS ever has had an Avia B534.

During 1939 these aircraft were on duty with:
JFS Werneuchen
JFS Stolp
JG 71
TGr 186
and a very few with school units.
Hi Merlin
can You please share some info about B534 at JFS Werneuchen?
Looking into my files I can't find anything mentioning B534 at this unit.
Many thanks,
Cheers, Martin
Old 16th September 2020, 21:05

Just a quick addition regarding the Hungarian B534 in the photos above: my new research clearly shows that t is not the plane flown by Zachar, the captured B534 later flown by Hungarians was Hanovec's B534.323. BR, Martin