Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 28th June 2015, 20:14

Rabe Anton
Luftwaffe Night Fighter Device

Does any reader of the Forum know what the AWG1, AWG 1, or AWG-1 device was and what the abbreviation means in German?

The term seems to apply to a device retro-fitted to Ju 88Gs and perhaps other subtypes and possibly Bf 110Gs from ca. early summer 1944. The installation
work was done in the usual maintenance and repair stations, not at unit level, and apparently took ca. two days start to finish.

In addition to German designation and meaning of AWG 1, what is/was the proper way to write the abbreviation: AWG1, AWG 1, or AWG-1?

Thanks to all who may share their expertise. I cannot find any mention in Aders, Hinchcliffe, Streetly, Price, Boiten, or Google, yet there are dozens of references to the equipment in ULTRA.

RA
Old 28th June 2015, 20:46
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Luftwaffe Night Fighter Device

I don't recognise it immediately but could you quote an example in context from Ultra? Many of the abbreviations they used were for English near-equivalents, not for the original German term (e.g. ARC for Flughafenbereichskommando, via Aerodrome Regional Command).
Old 28th June 2015, 21:28
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

http://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/...hreibungen.pdf

Mentioned is also AWG 2 in Ultra (below)

622705 Ju 88 G-6 3C+BK I/NJG 4 (Luftwaffe)
Taken on unit strength (16Z Benito 25A SN2 R AWG 2) from Goslar 27.02.45
[as G6 622705 BK in HW 5/671 R.478/C/1 (1)]
Old 28th June 2015, 21:57

Rabe Anton

Thank you Nick and Ed for prompt actions!

Nick, I track your thinking regarding your Bletchley Park countrymen—indeed, some of the ULTRA translations into English are occasionally somewhat rough and ready. Ed, your observation is interesting; I hadn't run into AWG 2 because of my chronological progress in the material, but no surprise that there was a second "new and improved" iteration or modification of the device.

Nick, here's a verbatim extract from PRO HW 5/601 - CX/MSS/R.339(A),
para. 67:

Transmission dated 16.10.44. "Transit Depot LANGENDIEBACH reports the following a/c equipped with AWG 1 from 8 - 14/10[1944]:"

There follows itemization of two Ju 88G-1s and two G-6. One G-1 and one G-6 to III./NJG 1; one G-6 to Stab NJG 1, and one G-1 to I./NJG 4.
Old 28th June 2015, 22:21

Andy Mitchell will become famous soon enoughAndy Mitchell will become famous soon enough

Don't know if this helps but...

A.W.G.—Auswertegerät (Telemeter
device S.B.A.)

That was from the abbreviations section of the "Manual of German Air Force terminology".

Andy Mitchell

LuftwaffeData Wiki including the history of Aufklgr. 122
Old 28th June 2015, 22:38

Rabe Anton

Thank you very much Andy. Your suggested certainly meaning seems like it should be correct. I could not/cannot, however, find the abbreviation in the "Abbreviations" section of my copy of The Manual of German Air Force Terminology. My copy is a reprint of the original sixpart manual by the University of the Pacific widely available in the States.

RA
Old 29th June 2015, 00:08
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

I wonder if this was equvilant to the present day DME (Distance Measuring Equipment, part of approach aids.)
-Ed
Old 29th June 2015, 20:01

Peter Achs is on a distinguished road

AWG = Auswertegerät or Bakenwandler, AWG 1 and 2 from Frieseke & Hoepfner and AWG 3 and 4 from Siemens.

Very simplified:
It's a kind of remote control of the aircraft. It converts the audio-frequency beacon signals into a continuous direct current. This DC could be switched to the autopilot (Kurssteuerung) to control the aircraft.

See the scan from Fritz Trenkle: Die deutschen Funknavigations- und Funkführungsverfahren bis 1945, Stuttgart 1979

Regards
Peter
Old 30th June 2015, 16:15

Rabe Anton

Peter Achs,

I want to thank you as warmly as possible for your knowledgeable, concise, and well-
expressed post concerning the AWG 1 and AWG 2 devices. You answered my question beautifully, exactly what I needed to know. I also think that the readership at large has learned something important, as the AWG 1 and AWG 2 were significant equipment but not well-known. Finally, Peter, I want to tell you that your English is faultless, better than most of my own American university students. So, thank you again, many times over.
RA
Old 30th June 2015, 17:17
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, Peter. This information is new to me. I must complete my library of books by Fritz Trenkle.

Best,

Ed West