Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 14th October 2014, 18:42

ChristianK is on a distinguished road
Re: eBay: Some Me 262s 14/10

Steve,
have a look at this thread: http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showth...oberwiesenfeld and compare the photos you have to the scrapyard overviews. This will already clarify many questions. For anything else I would have to upload all my photos and I am too lazy for that Please believe me, "TF+LL" was found at Oberwiesenfeld.
The same is true for most of the other known Fw 190s similarly marked (I have TF+LL, TY+RU, SH+JA, SP+SO, ?F+DE and (likely) TH+RU)*. I don't know though, to which unit they might have belonged. Any help here would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Christian

*plus BW+WC and VS+BX in Bad Aibling
Old 14th October 2014, 19:14

S Sheflin will become famous soon enough

Norbert and Christian,

First, you are correct Norbert. A-5 it is and not A-4. I hit the wrong key and didn’t check my posting.

Christian, thanks for the most informative information. It does make me wonder, however, why so many GIs made the same blunder in locating their photographs.

Steve Sheflin
Old 14th October 2014, 20:58

RolandF is on a distinguished road

The captions have to be taken with some scepticism. One aerial view is designated "Munich" but was obviously taken over the Kongresshalle, Reichsparteitagsgelände Nuremberg.

Regards

Roland
Old 14th October 2014, 21:04

Charles Bavarois is an unknown quantity at this point

Gentlemen,
I have to second Christian as to the location: this is München-Oberwiesenfeld indeed. The Focke-Wulf A-5 was part of quite a large array of aircraft (at least 31 a/c) dumped around two blast-walls next to the large maintenance-hangar in the north-western edge of the airfield in 1945. The clue is the buildings in the background of the shots with the Fw 190 and the JUMO 004s. These were two hangars of distinctive construction at the northern edge of the airfield and you may see the chimney of a well known civil factory in the background (IIRC Knorr-Bremse).

The other thing: I don’t what to be nitpicking, but AFAIK there was no “Fliegertechnische Schule Motor” at Schleißheim nor at any other place. That facilities for instruction of aviation technicians were simply named “Fliegertechnische Schule” with a number following. From what little information I found, FTS 3 started using different installations around Munich, was concentrated at Oberwiesenfeld when WW2 began and was finally dislocated at Schleißheim, but also using Oberwiesenfeld for training on general a/c maintenance. Even in official documents it was indiscriminately named like FTS München, FTS Freimann or FTS Schleißheim.

The FTS was divided into 17 Kompanien (from late 1940: 13) for different kinds of training. From loss reports in 1944 I can recognize 1. Komp. as “Technischer Einweisungs-Lehrgang”, 2. for Flugzeugschlosser, 4. for Flugzeug-Elektromechaniker and 5. for Flugmotorenschlosser. Late in 1944 some 800 women were trained for Flugzeugmaler, Flugzeugschlosser or Flugzeugelektriker and there also was a training-course for female Fliegerhelferinnen (two 17 year old Fliegerhelferinnen were killed in a bombing-attack on 7. Jan. 1945).

Perhaps somebody can help us we the FTS-issue and has more information.

Greetings
Carl
Old 15th October 2014, 01:03
Alter Hase

ouidjat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard T. Eger View Post
Dear Franck,

I think that is the cover for the Riedel starter, although it is not properly mounted. That, or it is a fake cover...
Richard
Dear Richard,
You're right indeed. it's just completly outside ..
As for me concerning that writing....
I just did check, it is on one different view , taken at the same place (though it's difficult to say it's the same just place because of the US wooden posts), though unreadable AND the Riedel starter is outside, like on that last photo.

Regards, Franck