Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 31st May 2012, 14:25

Dmitry Volodin is on a distinguished road
Georg Michalek unclear claims

According to deZeng/Stankey database:
MICHALEK, Georg
01.09.39-01.03.40 - I./JG 54.
01.03.40- 08.40 - Staka 1./JFS 4
20.09.40-29.04.41 - Ordz.Offz./Jagdfliegerfuehrer 1 (Lfl.1)
05.41 in Stab/Jagdfliegerfuehrer 2
15.07.41 - Staka 4./JG 3

First ostfront claim – 16.07.41 (№12, Prien JFV 6/I).
Where and when he shot dawn previous 11 planes? J.Perry’s list up to 15.07.41 – 0 claims.

BR
Dmitry
Old 31st May 2012, 20:34

christian is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Georg Michalek unclear claims

Hi

Michalek was to 12/1939 Staffelkapitän of the 1./JG 54, he was after in the II./JG 27 (?) for short time.

Greetings Christian
Old 1st June 2012, 08:52
Alter Hase

Johannes has a spectacular aura aboutJohannes has a spectacular aura about

Funny thing.

On the abschüsse bord of 4./Jg3 it gives three claims for Michalek on 11th July 1943, but no aircraft type, and if this isn't a mistake they certainly were not confirmed. I have forty-nine confirmed for him from 11th Jul 1941 until 22nd July 1942 all Russian.

Regards

Johannes
Old 1st June 2012, 19:46

In II./JG27 - 0 claims. Maybe Spain?
Old 2nd June 2012, 10:42

Kapper is on a distinguished road

Dmitry,

There were no claims for Michalek in the Spanish Civil War.

As to the possibility of the missing claims I have the following;

In the book ‘1941 The turning point Volume 1’ an entry for 10th January 1941 states;

As the bombers approached the French coast, the Forward Support Hurricanes crossed out near Calais. Wing Commander Beamish then saw a Bfl09 drop onto the tail of Pilot Officer McConnell of 249 Squadron. The Messerschmitt pilot, Oberleut­nant Michalek of II /JG 3, executed a perfect 'bounce', and McConnell baled out hurriedly. He was later picked up by the AS.R. Service and taken to hospital suffering from splinter wounds. Beamish turned into the attack, and claimed to have shot the Bf109 down into the Channel, but Michalek escaped unscathed.

This was the only Hurricane lost in the operation ‘Circus 1’. The Spitfire of Sgt Freeze of 74 Squadron was also lost which matches the claim of Ofw. Schott of 2(J)/LG2. A further Spitfire was damaged. There were no other claims or losses. However, in Prien’s earlier work on the history of JG3, the Hurricane was credited to Fw. Dilling of Stab II/JG3. It is obvious in his earlier works on JG3 and 77 that he had information on the number of claims each day but didn’t have the exact details of who made all the claims and tried to match what was known to a date and inevitably got several wrong. In his later work on the JFV series he has corrected many of these but for 10 January 1941 he has no claims for Stab II/JG3 and all 52 claims for Dilling are accounted for.

Also in the same book for the entry of 12th January 1941 states;

242 Squadron flew their first Rhubarbs during the morning. Squadron Leader Bader and Flight Lieutenant Turner departed at 10.20 hours, finding and strafing two E-boats between Dunkirk and Calais. The rest of the squadron clamoured to join in the new 'game', and at 12.15 hours Pilot Officer Latta and Flying Officer Cryderman took off, followed at 13.25 hours by Flight Lieutenant McKnight and Pilot Officer Brown. Cryder­ man and Latta made landfall near Gravelines, where they strafed targets just inland before two Bfl09s jumped them. Latta was shot down into the sea, but Cryderman escaped. McKnight and Brown proceeded to Calais and had just made a strafing run over beach targets when they too were attacked by Messerschmitts. Brown engaged the leader in a head-on attack, then broke fast for the clouds. Flying Officer W L McKnight, one of the leading RA.F. aces with 18 victories to his credit, was never seen again. One of the two Hurricanes was shot down by Oberleutnant Georg Michalek of II./JG 3.

In the claims files there is listed only one claim for these actions to Fw Brugelmann of 8/JG26, there is no claim listed for the second Hurricane.

I don’t know where the author got his information but looking at the details it is a strong possibility that Michalek was responsible for both the above mentioned losses.
Furthermore, on page 96 of ‘Black Cross Red Star’ Volume 1 the author credits an Oblt. Michalek of Stab II/JG3 of shooting down 5 SB-2’s on the 12th July 1941. I took this information from my notes as I don’t have this book with me. Again, I don’t know where the author got his information from but this appears feasible because Oblt Faust the Staffelkapitan of 4/JG3 was killed in action on 12th July 1941 and Michalek was his replacement arriving from Stab II/JG3 on 15th July 1941.

With respect to Johannes source that Michalek made 3 claims on the 11th July with 4/JG3, I don’t believe that this is correct. A photograph of 4/JG3 scoreboard appears on page 27 of “Planes of the Luftwaffe Aces” Volume 1. Though the picture does not show the bottom edge of the scoreboard and 3 claims for 11th July are not shown, the remaining claims on the scoreboard match what is listed in Priens JFV series. The missing 3 are listed in Priens JFV series are for Ofw Brenner, Ofw Kortlepel, and Ofhr Kohl. The only pilot to make 3 claims on 11th July 1941 within 4./JG3 was Ofw Kortlepel. Two are shown in the photo and the third is one of the missing three. The first claim for Michalek on the score board shown in the photo is on the 16th July 1941 which is reportedly his 12th.

However, as suggested in a previous post, in Obermaiers book on Knights Cross holders, the author also states that Michalek got 3 on 11th July 1941 for his 10th-12th. If he did, it wasn’t with 4./JG3 and more than likely with Stab II/JG3.

So, putting this altogether it possible that Michalek was with Stab II/JG3 from as early as the start of 1941, made at least 2 claims in the west and more than likely made the remaining 9 during June/July 1941 with Stab II/JG3 before taking command of the 4th Staffel.

Of course this is speculation on my part but it’s a start.

Regards,
Craig…
Old 3rd June 2012, 13:35

Hi Craig,

Your arguments sounds fairly reasonable, strange that Prien didn't any comments concerning Michalek in his books.

BR,
Dmitry
Old 12th June 2012, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapper View Post

Furthermore, on page 96 of ‘Black Cross Red Star’ Volume 1 the author credits an Oblt. Michalek of Stab II/JG3 of shooting down 5 SB-2’s on the 12th July 1941. I took this information from my notes as I don’t have this book with me. Again, I don’t know where the author got his information from but this appears feasible because Oblt Faust the Staffelkapitan of 4/JG3 was killed in action on 12th July 1941 and Michalek was his replacement arriving from Stab II/JG3 on 15th July 1941.

Craig
In JFV all 7 claims of Oesau-Michalek Rotte credited to Oesau.
Old 6th October 2017, 21:49

"A photograph of 4/JG3 scoreboard appears on page 27 of “Planes of the Luftwaffe Aces” Volume 1."
Can someone show this photograph?