Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 19th October 2017, 20:48

Dan History is on a distinguished road
Re: seeking info about Ju-88 sunk 10 May 1944 near Port Vendres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
Look on the DEFE3 message and at top left you'll see "Ref. CX/MSS…" That is the number of a message on an HW5 file.
Thank you, Nick! If only the good people at the National Archives finally digitised HW5, too. At the rates some forum members are going, they might achieve digitisation before the Archives do

Quote:
My first thought would have been 1.(F)/33.
I had not thought about 1.(F)/33, but there is no indication that this unit suffered losses in this action. I had forgotten that FuG 200 Hohentwiel was widely used by this time, thank you for the information that KG 77 flew night security missions. Touching on my core interest, I wonder whether FuG 200 was used, even if in small quantities, on the Eastern front during this period. Have you ever seen anything that would indicate this was the case? I think there was probably no requirement for anti-ship radar in the East, given the absence of anti-shipping units, but it's impossible to be sure.

Regards,

Dan
Old 19th October 2017, 21:41
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan History View Post
I had not thought about 1.(F)/33, but there is no indication that this unit suffered losses in this action.
Conversely, they were Fl.Div. 2's only dedicated long-range reconnaissance asset, so it would be surprising if they weren't part of this operation.

Quote:
I had forgotten that FuG 200 Hohentwiel was widely used by this time, thank you for the information that KG 77 flew night security missions.
That's covered in the Operation Dragoon section of my website. KG 26 had some aircraft equipped too.

Quote:
Touching on my core interest, I wonder whether FuG 200 was used, even if in small quantities, on the Eastern front during this period. Have you ever seen anything that would indicate this was the case?
Haven't the faintest idea, sorry.
Old 20th October 2017, 01:15

Dan History is on a distinguished road

Quote:
they were Fl.Div. 2's only dedicated long-range reconnaissance asset, so it would be surprising if they weren't
I imagine they were involved, no disagreement on this point.

Quote:
That's covered in the Operation Dragoon section of my website. KG 26 had some aircraft equipped too.
Thank you! Will read it with pleasure.

Quote:
Haven't the faintest idea, sorry.
Will tell you if I find out anything on this subject. Given the various Ju 188s used in the East, it is possible that FuG 200 was in fact employed, if only on a small scale. There were no Ju 88 torpedo bombers in the East, so the Ju 188s appear to be the only possibility.

Regards,

Dan
Old 21st October 2017, 06:39
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

I know writing of crew of Stab.V/KG 26 (with FuG 200 radars fitted) did training or such flights over the Ostsee (Baltic Sea), in summer 1944. (i.e. 1H+ _ F) unit then transferred as Stabstaffel/KG 26 in autumn to North Norway, flying there weather and maritime recce missions until late winter/spring 1945.

One chance of positive I.D. of operational Ju 88 in these waters is recover emergency steel dataplate located near/in rear of tailwheel-bay.
Old 6th November 2017, 18:31

hervelevano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Recce: of the 13 recce aircraft operating from 3 degrees 30 minutes west at irregular intervals, with main emphasis on night recce, only three brought in correct results for conduct of attack, two by day (one P/R) and one by night (with apparatus). Five aircraft broke off task before reaching objective owing technical trouble. One aircraft missing. One further aircraft shot down in sea off Perpignan by Allied aircraft. Remaining aircraft brought back no interpretable results.
Hello,

I've got a question. I read carefully the KV3920. It doesn't say that those recce aircrafts took off necesserily on 11th may, does it? Because the UGS - 40 convoy was sighted on 9th may already. Maybe the Recce flights began earlier than the 11th, and couldn't it be possible that the plane shot down near Perpignan returning from recce was sunk on 10th may, not on 11th?

It would make sense, as the ktb from 6. Sicherungsflottille says a Ju 88 shot down by allied aircraft on10th may, and has no entry for the 11th may, though it is the same geographical zone. If a Ju 88 had crashed into sea also the day after, it would have been written on KTB, no?

What do you think about this statement?

thanks,

Hervé
Old 6th November 2017, 19:32
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hervelevano View Post
Hello,

I've got a question. I read carefully the KV3920. It doesn't say that those recce aircrafts took off necesserily on 11th may, does it?

Hervé
No it doesn't say what days they were flying, it just deals with operations against this convoy. The convoy entered the Mediterranean early on the 9th, and the Germans probably learned about this from watchers on the Spanish Coast. Then they would have sent aircraft out to search. You may well be looking for a loss from 1.(F)/33 but I don't have any details.
Old 6th November 2017, 19:37

Thank you very much Nick, we're getting closer...

hervé

Last edited by hervelevano; 7th November 2017 at 11:47.
Old 7th November 2017, 11:46

Quote:
You may well be looking for a loss from 1.(F)/33.
It could match, as the 1.(F)/33 losses for may 1944 were 7 aircraft shot down by allied (1 Ju 88 D-1, 4 Ju-88 T-1, 1 Ju 188 F-1, 1 Ju 88 A-17).

Hervé
Old 7th November 2017, 12:19
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hervelevano View Post
It could match, as the 1.(F)/33 losses for may 1944 were 7 aircraft shot down by allied (1 Ju 88 D-1, 4 Ju-88 T-1, 1 Ju 188 F-1, 1 Ju 88 A-17).

Hervé
All seven aircraft were not necessarily shot down, they were lost "due to enemy action" which can include bombing, strafing or sabotage while on the ground.
Old 7th November 2017, 12:38

thank you for the precision nick