Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th November 2017, 22:03
Alter Hase

Teresa Maria is on a distinguished road
Wink Joachim Wandel

Dear All,
You may well laugh, but maybe some of you know the answer... Was Joachim Wandel married?
Thank you in advance.
Old 3rd April 2018, 21:26
Alter Hase

Re: Joachim Wandel

So many months have passed and I still have received no answer... Maybe this time I'll have more luck?
Do you happen to know if Joachim Wandel was married?
Thank you in advance.
Old 3rd April 2018, 21:30
Alter Hase

Maybe I should make my post more interesting by adding a funny picture? When I added a flying snail to my post about Siegfried Schnell, I received an answer very soon. :-)
Old 3rd April 2018, 22:10
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa Maria View Post
Maybe I should make my post more interesting by adding a funny picture?
I think perhaps you should consider instead that the things that interest you about wartime airmen are not those that are of the concern to most of the members here. You have chosen an unusual area to explore and that makes it less likely that you will get the answers you seek.
Old 3rd April 2018, 22:18
Alter Hase

Dear Nick,
Thank you for your answer. Sometimes I do get answers (for example, I have recently got an answer about Siegfried Schnell). Well, I'm more interested in pilots' biographies, their personal lives, etc. than in their military careers. On the other hand, questions about the serial numbers of their planes or about the geographic coordinates of an aerial victory are not interesting for me. I'm sorry, but I simply have other interests. Anyway, I'm not nosy and I don't ask for rumours about them. Such things should be available in documents, for example, I have recently been to Freiburg and I had little time (I was at a conference), but I managed to visit the Bundesarchiv and I got a photocopy of a document about Friedrich Rupp (the love of my life), which confirmed that he had been unmarried (the option 'ledig' was marked on it).
Old 5th April 2018, 13:43

DR40eghs is on a distinguished road

Dear all,

it is quite easy to answer the question (married or not) with a quick look into the NVM copy. After 1940 the NVM list name and address of the next of kin (nearest relative), i.e. the person to inform after a serious personal tragedy had happened (often by letter from the "Staffelkapitän").
When married, the NVM shows name and address of the wife (stated: "Ehefrau"). When the NVM refers to parents or othe realtives ... then the casualty was not married. Quite easy.

And when married ... there is at least some chance for the existance of common children (which are still alive) ... and/or grandchildren.

To research for these persons make some sense when researching for persons KIA or MIA (photos, documents, ... informations).

So ... i don't think, the question "was xyz married" is so ridiculous.

Regards, Uwe K.
Old 5th April 2018, 19:15

Charles Bavarois is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear all,

to follow Uwes proposal: The NVM for Hptm Wandel has only information on his parents. Also his last place of living ("Wohnort") was the same as his parents'. So it looks like he was not married.

Carl
Old 5th April 2018, 19:28
Alter Hase

Dear Carl,
Thank you very, very much for your answer. By the way, what does the abbreviation NVM stand for? It might be 'Verlustmeldung', but what does the N stand for?
Best regards,
Teresa
Old 5th April 2018, 20:17

Charles Bavarois is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Teresa,

NVM stands for "Namentliche Verlustmeldung", that is a report on a killed, wounded or missing individual soldier himself. More often than not it also has some information on the aircraft.

Carl
Old 5th April 2018, 20:40

DR40eghs is on a distinguished road

Dear Teresa,

please find attached an example of a fighter unit (I./JG 300) "Namentliche Verlustmeldung". It took me a while to find one with a "good mixture" of married/unmarried cases.

The list gives 5 names. No 1 is slightly wounded, the other 4 KIA.
In column 20 ("Bemerkungen" = "remarks") you find the 'relatives" info.
No 2 to 4 were married, for no 5 the father is listed as 'next of kin'.

Regards, Uwe K.

Edit 6.4.2018: Attachement removed by author, since Teresa has already seen it - my "mission" is completed. . Uwe K.

Last edited by DR40eghs; 6th April 2018 at 14:44.