Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 2nd June 2007, 23:42

Chris A. is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe Raid On London December 28th/29th 1940 Help Needed Please.

Hi

This site has been recomended to me and am hoping somebody might have the answers.

I am interested in details of the Luftwaffe raid on London on the night of December 28th 1940. I am trying to find details of all the Units, aircraft types and the numbers involved. I am led to believe that there were between 100 - 130 aircraft involved and only the weather prevented a follow up attack.

One famous photograph from this raid shows St. Pauls Cathedral surrounded by smoke and fire. Another church nearby was called Christchurch, and this was totally destroyed. The ruins are still there today. During family tree research i have discovered that my four times Great Grandparents were married in this church in 1817, and would like to find out more details about this raid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Chris A.
Old 3rd June 2007, 01:06
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough
Re: Luftwaffe Raid On London December 28th/29th 1940 Help Needed Please.

Chris,

Get hold of a copy of 'The Blitz, Then & Now Volume 2', by After The Battle Press. It's all in there for you.

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 3rd June 2007, 01:56

Hi John

Thanks for your reply. I have seen The Blitz volume you mentioned, but i am hoping to find details, if they exist, of the Luftwaffe records for this raid. I'm sure The Blitz volume didn't have the total figures for all the Units that flew on this raid.

Many thanks.

Regards

Chris A.
Old 3rd June 2007, 04:58

Jim Oxley is on a distinguished road

The attack on 28th/29th December became known as 'The Second Great Fire Of London'.

The attack was opened by the pathfinder unti KGr 100 at 1817 hours, with 10 aircraft of the unit dropping 11,520 IB's in the space of 13 minutes; followed by seven aircraft of III./KG 26 which delivered five Sc 1000's and 1,008 IB's. In total 147 aircraft from KG's 4, 27, 51, and 55 dropped 120 tons of high explosive and 27,499 incendaries in just over three hours in a very small, concentrated area of the City of London.

It wasn't the heaviest raid on London, but it was one of the most destructive. Two natural factors combined to make it so. One was the neap tide, so the level of the Thames was very low. Mains were broken and hydrants in the ity soon dried up, leaving firemen helpless in the face of six conflagrations and sixteen major fires. The greatest were the half square mile of fire in the Moorgate - Aldersgate Street area, and another half this size in the Minories. The second factor was the wind. By 7.30pm the south-westerly breeze which, at the start of the raid had only been slight, had increased to a half gale.

Amazingly St. Pauls catherdral survived, surrounded as it was by a sea of flame. But many buildings of great antiquity did not. The fifteenth century Guildhall was badly damaged and eight Wren churches were destroyed. The Central Telegraph Office was hit and patients had to be removed from Guy's Hospital. Amen Court and Ave Maira Lane burned, as did Newgate Street, Ludgate Hill and Paternostor Row.

Casualties were heavy. More than 160 civilians were killed and 500 badly hurt. Sixteen firemen were killed and a further 250 were admitted to hosptial for treatment, mostly burns.
Old 3rd June 2007, 11:07
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Oxley View Post
The Central Telegraph Office was hit
I think it was hit by Gothas in the Great War as well.
Old 3rd June 2007, 19:04

Hi Jim and Nick

Thankyou for your messages regarding the raid during WWII and the possible attack during WWI. I will have to look into this as well.

Regards

Chris.
Old 3rd June 2007, 20:26
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road

The Central Telegraph Office was hit by a 50Kg bomb on 7th. July 1917. It destroyed a temporary wooden structure on the roof of the building, and falling debris killed a sentry on the street. The resulting fire was quickly put out - source The First Battle of Britain 1917-18 by Raymond H.Fredette.

Regards
Brian Bines
Old 5th June 2007, 04:21
dora9forever

Smile Re: Luftwaffe Raid On London December 28th/29th 1940 Help Needed Please.

i think may 41 was another, raid, last biggest,then russia called,
gary...
Old 5th June 2007, 16:05

Hi Brian and Gary

Thanks for your messages regarding these other raids. I guess what started out as being one raid to look into steadily growing!

Many thanks.

Regards

Chris.
Old 6th June 2007, 03:49

Jim Oxley is on a distinguished road

Chris,

Two books that give very good details on the London Blitz are "Pfadfinder", by Ken Wakefield; and "The Night Blitz 1940-1941", by John Ray.